First Ipad- Refurb Ipad 2 or New Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wmitch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. wmitch, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

wmitch macrumors regular

wmitch

Hey guys "long time listener, first time caller" here :D

I've been a mac user for a long time but don't buy new hardware often.
    In fact, I'm still using a 2007 black MB (has 80% life left in the original battery too!) and a 2nd gen Ipod touch.

I'm ready to buy my 1st iPad and plan to buy a new Macbook after the next refresh. I just cannot decide if I should spend $450 for a Refurb 32gb iPad 2 or $600 for the 32gb "New iPad."

Whatever I get, I'll use till it dies so I want to make the right choice here.
    I know it's subjective but any advice/insight would be helpful

Thanks!

----------

I swear I looked for a thread on this and couldn't find one till I posted mine. Sorry guys, wasn't trying to be redundant here by starting a new thread. :eek:

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The best way to "own" and iPad is to flip it ever year. I call it self-financed leasing. Ownership cost comes out about the same either way and you always have the lastest. But if you prefer to buy and hold till death do us part then go for the iPad 3 as it's going to be relevant longer. The iPad 2 is no slouch but I assume developers are going to start taking advantage of the new screen and graphics processor to the point new apps will work better on the new iPad than the 2.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Agreed. With iPads and iPhones I feel that this is the best route. Newer iOS models tend to be big step ups in terms of added features and faster devices. Also, the older devices tend to slow down a significant amount when the latest version of iOS is put on.

I don't feel the same way about Apple computers though. All of our macs are a few years old now but the newer model don't really offer much extra.

Buy the new iPad and, if you can, put aside say $30 a month so that come next year you'll be able to sell your current iPad and buy a new one again.

4. Woomy123 macrumors regular

before the iPad 3 the iPad 2 was the fastest idevice, still beating the iPhone 4s, so i say go for the iPad 2 as its still fast and thinner then the iPad 1 and has front and rear camera

5. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

wmitch

Good info...

I've never thought of it that way, I may do that w/the iPad, if I'm going to turn them like that though, I almost think the current version would be better, I may only lose $150 each time I do it which wouldn't be any more than if I kept it 4 years till it died then got a new one.

I know there's a lot of personal opinion about sizes but my main concern w/the 16gb is that it will fill up quick w/HD pics, movies.

Is there a way w/the iPad to access images/video/music stored on another machine on my home network or do they have to be stored on the device itself? (w/o paying for a subscription service)

thanks for all your help!

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yeah, I agree.

I "lease" my iPhones. Basically used them until the new one is announced, sell it, and use that money toward the latest and greatest. I don't think I'll even skip a generation.