iPad First iPad, thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dvrmstrng, Aug 18, 2013.

1. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

I am going away on a long vacation at the end of the month and wanted to have a tablet prior to leaving so waiting on the 5 wasn't really an option.

I did research that included:

iPad4
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Nexus 10
    Note 8
    ASUS Transformer
    Surface

In the end after all of my research and hands-on time, as far as I could tell the iPad still reigns supreme so I picked up a 32GB with smart cover and Luvvitt DOLCE rear cover without any money out of pocket courtesy of my credit card rewards program.

Excited to get back into iOS. I owned an iPhone since the first release and a MBP since 2009 however recently switched my cell phone to a Note 2. The screen broke on my phone and I think I may start to transition back to strictly iOS devices depending on what he newest Nexus phone looks like and what Apple does with the 5C/5S.

Excited
    :apple:

2. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

What version of iOS do iPads currently run straight from Apple?

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Latest version is 6.1.3, but depending on when your iPad was manufactured, it might come with a slightly earlier version, such as 6.1, 6.1.1 or 6.1.2.

4. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I just picked up an iPad 4 and it had 6.1.3. However, if you do get one with an earlier version the iTunes or app store will notify you and ask if you want to upgrade to the newer version. If you regularly sync with iTunes it will keep checking for newer versions of the iOS

5. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Congratulations on your new iPad 4. A few days ago I got an iPad4 (64gb WiFi+Cellular) as well - upgrading from a 16gb WiFi only iPad 3- Technically I probably could have waited until the iPad 5 came out, but I needed something to get the work done today not a few months down the road.

As for you returning to all iOS devices, I would highly recommend it. I often hear from co-workers that have either the iPad and non iOS phone or a non iOS tablet and an iOS phone how they often can't have things synced or do things on both types of devices. Those of us that are all iOS are often asked questions how we are able to do some of the things we do on both the phone and the iPad. The answer is simply in iOS. Many of the apps I use are universal, or have iPad and iPhone versions and through iCloud, or dropbox can usually sync together. Some even have their own sync service. Several of those applications even sync automagically with their MacOS counterparts. To me, the Apple EcoSystem (MacOS and iOS) just work together and I have a lot less headaches than I did when I was using other operating systems. (Windows, Palm etc)

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't need to sync with iTunes to update iOS. Just go to Settings > General > Software Update. If your iOS is the latest version, it will say you are up to date, if not, it will ask if you want to download and install the update.

7. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I am aware of that as well. If and when you do sync with iTunes it will also check to see if you have the latest version or not.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

Good choice !

I started out with Android tablets and loved it. Now my favorite is the iPad. I love the sleekness and smoothness of iOS. I love the simplicity in the iOS UI especially in Safari. I love how the OS rarely skips a beat regardless of the program or app you are in. The hardware looks superior to any other Android tablet I can think of.

I own 2 iPad's and while I own a 1st Gen Nexus 7 and really like it, my next tablet will be the mini if it includes retina. If not i'll probably get the redesigned iPad 5.

9. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering more so that I could check and see what the various Dev teams are up to in the jailbreak world.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

6.1.2 was the last version that is jailbreakable. No new jailbreaks expected until after iOS 7 drops. So if you have 6.1.3, that version is likely to have no jailbreak.