First iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by adm90, Feb 13, 2012.

1. adm90 macrumors newbie

Ok, well i finally decided to take the side of apple! I come from android and am tired of it. I decided now would be a good time to get my first apple product as the new iPad is coming out. Now that we have a pretty solid announcement date and specs, i can start to get really hyped about this lol.

On to my question... I have 1000 dollars to work with on my first iPad, no more... Now here is the issue, i want to get the 64GB wifi only (or 128GB if it is offered and replaces 64GB price line, i personally dont really expect it but hey ima dreamer :rolleyes: ) so I'm out 700 right there. Now, would you all suggest getting apples 2 year plan thing for 70 dollars?? Or should i get a third party to insure it? I do have a local apple store very nearby. Insurance is a for sure, as all my electronics are insured. Its just a personal preference and makes me feel better. So now were at 770 give or take.

My main goal for this is to use it for taking notes at school and other school stuffs. Should i use the remaining funds to get the wireless keyboard? or get a smart cover (if still supported) and some sort of simple clear hard back? At the moment i was thinking the case and cover... As i think i could just use the screen for a bit till i can raise some funds for the keyboard later... That and i would feel better protecting my toy as much as possible even if its minimal to start. Can anyone share with me how hard it is to quickly take notes using the screen? I need to keep up with lectures and what not. Or just any suggestion you guys might have on better spending my budget limit. Like i said, i only have 1000 i cant shell out anymore without leaving my comfort zone (and i really really really don't wanna).

Any help yall can provide is greatly appreciated! I'm so excited to finally own one of these magic machines!

2. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I have the smart cover and it is great. it does seem to add some "lines" to the screen but the idea to quickly open/close = on/off and the stand ability is neat.

I also have a stylus, Wacom Bamboo or whatever the Wacom Stylus is, it is a good one.

I have a camera bag with a laptop spot and we have a small "purse-like" bag for the iPad when we take it for my son out to relatives so it is padded.

I like the onscreen keyboard, but i am not really taking notes per se. I know a few others who would have input on here.

as for the insurance (not telling you not to as i know that is your preference) but have you ever used insurance on your other devices?

best of luck, you will, no doubt enjoy it. another thing to add...are you including apps you will purchase into your $1k budget or are those extra not included?

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I would get a warranty from squaretrade, as they cover drops & other accidents that apple doesn't cover.

Definitely get a bt keyboard if you want to type anything longer than a couple paragraphs or speed matters. The onscreen keyboard is fine, but you can't type as fast as on a physical keyboard. You don't have to buy Apple's keyboard, any Bluetooth keyboard will do - but stay away from the $25 Apple knockoffs in eBay; I have one and it's okay but the keys randomly stick a lot. It is not good for speed, but I still use it for long things.

Another thing to consider is a stylus and a good notetaking app if you'd like to handwrite any of your notes. Search the forums here and you'll find tons of threads comparing these apps - and the app is important, the software determines the writing quality much more than the stylus.

What cover you get is really a matter of personal taste - some people like the smart covers, some prefer folios, some want one that will hold the keyboard too, etc. personally I think the smart cover is overpriced for what it is. Take a look at the options before you settle on one.

Don't forget to budget for apps! I bought a $50 iTunes gift card along with my iPad as an initial app budget. I've sent probably $120 on apps in the past year.

4. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool then i will have to look to the other keyboards and see if i can find a nice deal. Nothing wrong with the apple one IMO it looks nice, but hey if i can find one cheaper i have not issues with that lol. As for the stylus i have never liked them mainly because i can read my own writing.. :(

Yeah insurance has saved me 3 times now over the last year lol. I have terrible luck lol that or im clumsy who knows :rolleyes: But ill check out squaretrade since they cover drops and what not.. And yeah i forgot all about apps... as well as itunes match... and cloud storage... blah let see how i can make this work now. But thank you both for pointing apps out! i completely forgot lol

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Search for notes, school in this forum, or regular iPad one. There are people who use these for school that have a great setup. Also, I know at Christmas time BestBuy had a deal of $40 for $50 of iTunes credits. BJs also sells them for cheaper...only a couple bucks but hey.

6. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips, ill be sure to check up on all that :)

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

8. ejisfun macrumors regular

If you do end up looking at smart covers, check ebay and craigslist first - I picked up mine (leather black) used for 15 bucks. Make sure to stay away from clones though.

9. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not bad, i might have to look into that one a lil more, I was kinda hoping for the almunium body one but i like this price better lol

Good idea, i wouldnt mind paying 15 bucks even just for the polyurethane so thanks for the tip.