Resolved First iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SamwellG, Oct 15, 2013.

1. SamwellG macrumors newbie

Im pretty stuck on getting the new mini. But with the new renderings on the iPad 5, that might look a little more practical for carrying around.

Now we get to size.. is 16 enough? Ever?
    I can do 32gb but what will/can I use that for? I have the 32gb iPhone 5s, up from 16gb iPhone 5. I havent used 6gb on it.

Does the iPad absolutely need to be bigger capacity? I need some direction. Or else ill end up buying 3 iPads for no reason :|

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That depends on what you plan to do with it. If you like to put a lot of videos on your iPad, or play graphics intensive games, it can fill up very fast. If all you do is read ebooks, you'll never fill up 16 GB.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I wouldn't want an iPad with 16gb as I'm a sucker for iOS games here and there...buy a couple games a month? Then you'll be managing your space every week just to delete off apps to add more stuff.

4. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

Photos, Videos, or Music in high volumes is the only reason I can imagine needing anything bigger than a 16gb device.

I still have an original iPad and have never used all of the space because I don't have a lot of music or videos/pictures stored on it.

5. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

Totally understandable. I don't think I plan on taking too many pictures on the mini itself. Storing them would be for my MacBook. Thanks for the input!

6. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

Also, it might be worth considering if you want to spend the extra $100 for that extra space. I use my iPad as a remote to carry around my most important things at that moment. Everything else I don't need or want at that moment stays on my home computer or a storage device at home.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I got the iPad mini with 32 GB, and I'm glad I did. With about 3500 songs, 2100 photos, a couple of movies and a large number of Dropbox files that I need to access off-line, it's filling up fast. I have been extremely pleased with the iPad mini, and it has replaced about 90% of my need for a computer. YMMV

8. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. I have 32 gigs on my iphone. I cant seem to fill anything. Im worried mostly about battery life. Hopefully all of this translates well to the iPad

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Pretty much our entire family photo album is on the ipad (backed up elsewhere).

Handful of adult and kids movies on the IPAD.

Right there is some serious space.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

One thing I've found about the iPad is that videos look great on it. I promptly tried to load all my favorite movies and TV shows onto the iPad, thus immediately running out of 64GB. :p

11. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

I do have to admit, it was definitely handy with the videos on my recent flight! I can see where you would quickly run out of space if you were loading it up with your favorites.

12. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

What about streaming? I don't have any favorites really. Or care to download movies.

Wil that change once I have an iPad and that accessibility?

13. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i don't really use our iPad but my wife and kids do. netflix streaming is fantastic and my wife uses it to watch shows like Dateline. all streamed.
    we don't have cable or watch much TV but many of the networks apparently have their own app that streams some or many of their shows. Those that don't seem to have websites that work fairly well with tablets.

Obviously streaming won't affect your storage space (beyond the apps themselves which tend to be fairly small) but I can tell you on our lower-tier cable net service we have no hiccups or problems.

14. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Next question:

iPad mini 2 for portability and versatility

OR

iPad 5 for bigger display

15. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I never carry my iPad 4 outside, but my Mini gets taken along quite a bit.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ha! Can't help you there, that's an extremely personal decision. I've been looking forward to iPad 5, which is supposedly going to be significantly lighter than my current iPad 3, so I'll have the same size display but more portable. The mini is very nice, though, and even more portable, and especially if it gets a retina display, would be the ideal device for many. For me, the key differentiator is the keyboard and other touch targets. The keys on the full size iPad is nearly the same size as on a physical keyboard. This makes it very easy for me to type. The keys on a mini is much smaller, yet too big to type like with a smartphone keyboard. Very awkward, in between size. So that's the main reason I'm going with iPad 5. Plus larger screen IS nice.

17. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense to me. At least you helped in some sense! Maybe thats why people go and buy two iPads!!

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I do currently have a mini and iPad 3. When the mini came out, I got one to try, and ended up keeping it because it was so convenient to carry outside the house. Fits in more purses, and whereas with the 3, I'll sometimes debate whether to take it or not, with the mini it was almost always a no brainer to just throw it in the bag. But every time I use the mini, I'd miss the bigger screen of the iPad 3. The only time I don't miss the bigger screen is probably when I'm reading ebooks, but even there, the two-page landscape view is much nicer on the iPad 3.

Interestingly enough, ever since I got my iPhone 5s (upgraded from iPhone 5), I've been using iPad mini less. Yesterday, I carried my mini with me, and never used it! I don't know why. The battery of the 5s is lasting a bit longer than 5, so that is definitely a factor, because before I'd use the mini to conserve the phone battery. But I'm not sure that's the only thing. Something about iOS 7 on the iPhone 5s (didn't really like iOS 7 when I had the beta on iPhone 5) plus apps optimized for iOS 7 makes it nicer to use (my mini is still on iOS 6, as I'm afraid iOS 7 would be slow on it), but I can't put a finger on exactly what.

19. emseven macrumors regular

iPad 5 is a laptop substitute for people that have a desktop.

iPad mini is a nice addition to a laptop.

20. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good point as well. I figured if I buy the new iPad 5, i can buy an older mini if i really wanted the portability. This is frustrating how Apple makes this decision so hard :confused:

----------

Ahhh, I see. Valid point.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's certainly one way to think about it, though there are people like me, who have both a laptop and a full sized iPad.

For reasons I already stated, I prefer the bigger screen iPad. I also need a laptop because the iPad doesn't do everything my laptop does. So in that sense, it doesn't "substitute" for my laptop. My desktop, however, I may not replace when my current one bites the dust.

22. Epiphron macrumors regular

Could be the fact that you just got a brand new phone and are more excited to use it :cool:

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, I did consider that possibility. :D

But if that were the case, my day of not using the mini would likely have happened in the first week I got my 5S, instead of several weeks into my ownership.