First iPhone 4 Charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cameronbrown13, Apr 23, 2011.

1. cameronbrown13 macrumors newbie

I just got the iPhone 4 for Verizon and I usually would let my phone die all the way and then charge it for 12 hours to get it completely charged. Is it the same for the iPhone 4 or does it not matter? If it does matter is it longer than 12 hours? Also, can leaving your phone plugged in when it is fully charged hurt it? Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Personally, I let the phone drop to 0% and then recharge it to 100%. You really don't HAVE to, but some recommend it.

When the iPhone reaches 100% charge, it will not accept any more - so, no, it's not bad to keep it plugged in.

3. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

are you 100% sure about this?? just asking cuz there are times where i wanna charge my phone but its like 5 min before i wanna go to bed and dont wanna charge it for 8 hours . and its always rumored that leaving your charger on overnight will hurt the battery. thats the last thing i wanna do on an iphone since the battery is non removable

4. cameronbrown13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, if you don't mind, I do have one last question. I have been trying to figure out if when I turn my phone off all the way, will it charge so I have turned it on and off a few times. Is this in any way bad for my battery or phone? Thanks :D

5. celticpride678

Yep, basically every Apple product does this.

Confused. Turning the phone off and on again?

6. cameronbrown13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I would power it off all the way and then turn it on

7. celticpride678

I don't see anything wrong with turning the thing off.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There's no practical reason behind letting the battery completely die and then charging it to 100% like what you described. Lithium ion battery technology has progressed a lot since the times when that was helpful. Also, confirming what previous posters have said, iPhone 4 will shut off the power that flows into the battery when it's fully charged. The iPhone will then run off the charger's power until you unplug it. And turning it on and off completely won't harm the phone, although there's not much advantage to doing so unless you are low on battery and you need it later on.

9. bmservice macrumors newbie

Just charge it freely.Most mobile phones now use lithium batteries as power supply. So you are not necessary to overcharge it at all. Don't worry that it will do some harm to your battery.