First iPhone, 5c or 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ACG12, Apr 10, 2016.

1. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to spend as little as possible on a new phone for my mother in law and the 5c seems to be quite a bit cheaper. My only concern is if the phone is too old to last her a couple of years? She only uses it for making calls, texting and taking video/photos.

Does the 5c lag with the current IOS update?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Between the two, I'd go with the 5s, just because of the age of the 5c.

3. willmtaylor, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

5S b/c it's newer its internal components and hardware are newer and has far fewer reports of materials issues while aging. Many folks still love their 5(S)'s. I don't see nearly as many kind/gracious words for 5C's.

4. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

5S is not newer than 5C... They released at the same time. However, the hardware in 5S is superior to that of the 5C.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Semantics, but I edited for clarity.

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Definitely the 5s, and not just because it's better. Obviously it's better, but if it was between the 5s and 6, I'd still recommend the 5s for money savings. The processor will help the 5s run much better than the 5, and being 64-bit gives it a feature benefit over the 5.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I actually like the 5c and it's among my favorite iPhones in terms of form factor (others being original iPhone and iPhone 3GS). The curves just feel really comfortable in hand. The A6 processor has held up remarkably well but it's going on 4 years old now and doesn't support all the features of newer iOS versions so I'd recommend the 5s.

Mind, if all you need is calls, texting, videos and photos, the 5c should actually work just fine even for the next couple of years. Those tasks don't require a whole lot of processing power to run.

My mom has an AT&T 5s and she used my unlocked Verizon 5c overseas on vacation. For her usage (calls, text, photos, videos, Facebook), the only noticeable difference between the 5c and 5s was TouchID. Granted, I am actually upgrading her 5s to the SE not because her 5s is slow but because her battery's acting wonky now.

8. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

Maybe not lag, but it lacks in 64-bit support. That means no add blocker in Safari, no Night Shift and absolutely no future-proofness. Since February 2015 all App Store submissions need to be 64-bit and 32-bit phones are about to become vintage.

9. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Either is fine. If you want to save the last $ then nothing wrong with the 5C for your purposes. 5S has the better camera if that is important. BUT 16GB is no good for anyone, especially moms. They take lots of pics and videos and never remove them from the phone. Phone fills up, won't update, & complaints follow. So make sure you get one with min 32. I made my mom get 64GB on her current phone.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Lol, this is so true. My mom wants to have all her pics and videos on her phone, too.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think the 5C is only available in 8gb right now? Either way, although I liked the 5C, it's just very outdated by now. Get her a 5S or even an SE and she'll be happy for years.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Thank God for Google Photos.

14. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

That's the question I was about to ask as well.

15. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

For what you'll spend on a new 5S (I wouldn't even consider the 5c) you might as well just spend a little extra and get the SE. Not only will it last significantly longer thanks to the RAM and processor specs, but since a primary use your mom has for the phone is photos and video, it's a far better choice due to its significantly improved camera.

At $399 outright or $1 on contract it's a no brainier over the 5S, which will be about the same.

16. 2015Girl macrumors regular

2015Girl

I have the 5c and it's fine. I have the 16GB one.

17. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

If all she does is call, text and take pics, she probably doesn't care about any of the internal differences. Save your cash and get the 5c

18. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to avoid spending $500+ dollars since the 16gb is worthless.

19. matt_on_a_mtn, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

I didn't say that it's not fine - I said I wouldn't consider it. OP states he wants a phone that will last his mother a couple years, and he's buying new. At new prices, if you can find them, the 5c, 5s, and SE are not all that far apart in cost. Because of that, and the vast upgrade between them, the best current value is the SE by a good margin.

As you're buying new, odds are pretty high that a 5S will cost close to that much anyway, since I assume you'll be purchasing a model with more than the base 16GB on that as well.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

In case you're looking at buying used, do consider the extra $79 that Apple charges for battery replacement in your cost/benefit analysis.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

$300 for a mint condition 32GB 5(S) on Swappa vs. $545 for an SE? Not chump change.

22. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Not sure where you're seeing $545, the 64GB SE is $499 everywhere brand new.

As the OP specified he was buying a new device, the price of a used 5s isn't applicable. If he's open to buying used, a 5S or 5c becomes much more appealing. That being said, new prices are higher, and much closer to the new SE price.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That would be 9% tax. No tax on Swappa. Mint = new.

24. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

Get her the 5S then, just bought my mom the rose gold 6s for mothers day.

25. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Personally I would go for the SE because it's more futureproof. Spend a little bit more now and you avoid having to spend more sooner down the line, plus Apple is more likely to support it longer because it's newer and has more capability. It will also weather updates better with the processor and the RAM.