First iPhone - Individual/Family Plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ccgates, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ccgates macrumors newbie

I'm going to be getting my first iPhone once iPhone 4 comes out. My current cell plan requirement has expired so I can switch over to AT&T on the 24th. Unfortunately, my fiancee's plan with her family doesn't expire until July 18th.

Is it possible for me to sign up for an individual plan for a month and when her plan is up to switch over to a family plan?

To go along with this, we're a little confused on the whole phone number portability thing. The AT&T website has a "checker" to see if you can port your phone number from one carrier to another. It says "Enter the ZIP Code for the service area assigned to your number.", does this mean where your phone is currently registered, or where it will be registered? In this situation my fiancee's phone number is from the Chicago area and we currently live in Madison, WI.

Thanks for any help.

2. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

You shouldn't have a problem porting the number. I was even able to port over a Virgin Mobile "Pay as You Go" number from the Chicago area to Michigan. I seem to remember there was a slight delay (3-4 days?) in porting the number because it was across state lines.

You can always go "up" on your plan (e.g. go to a more expensive plan) - your 2 year contract only holds you to keeping the base plan. So even in the future you could drop back down to the single user plan if you no longer need the family plan for some reason.