Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funtime180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Hi guys!
So I'm really excited, as on Saturday I'll be getting my first smart phone! It will be an upgrade from a Nokia 2610. I'll be visiting the Apple store in Murcia, Spain. What I wanted to ask was if I'll be able to use the iPhone from the off, as I don't yet have a nano sim card. Not sure if they will be able to activate the phone without one. Don't mind just using it on WiFi for the time being until the new sim card arrives.
Thanks!

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your phone will come with a SIM card and be activated on your network.

Congrats on the new iPhone. I just got my second one (third if you count the first which was a gift) five days ago. You'll be very happy with yours.

funtime180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Your phone will come with a SIM card and be activated on your network.

Congrats on the new iPhone. I just got my second one (third if you count the first which was a gift) five days ago. You'll be very happy with yours.

Thanks!
The phone I'm getting is the unlocked model, so no sim card for me.

funtime180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
You have to put in a sim-card to activate the phone, unfortunately.

Just what I feared. :( I thought that going to the Apple store they would be able to activate it while I waited for the new card to arrive.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
You could try and cut the sim card yourself. Or you could find a place where they have a thing that looks like a nail clipper that will cut it at the exact place/size.

I still have the original sim card that I used with my original iPhone, then I got the iPhone 4 and I cut it myself. Then I got the iPhone 5 and I cut it again.

I'm now using it with my iPhone 6 with no issues. Have to replace it soon as my carrier is starting to offer LTE this month.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You have to put in a sim-card to activate the phone, unfortunately.

not in europe.

Just what I feared. :( I thought that going to the Apple store they would be able to activate it while I waited for the new card to arrive.

if u buy it directly from the apple store there is no need to activate it with a simcard. u can just boot it up and go through the set up of iOS.

my old iPhone 5 from a provider asks to be activated. my iPhone 6 i bought at Apple does not

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
Cutting a normal SIM card to Nano SIM card size can work. Depends on the age of the SIM card. If it's not older than 4-5 years, it will probably work.
But it's important to make it thinner as the thickness is different with a Nano SIM card.

I cut my last SIM card to Nano dimensions as my old phone provider wanted 20€ for a new one. Although I was very accrued it turned out to be a little bit to small. So putting it in my 5S was a challenge. But it worked well for two years.
My new provider gives out Nano SIM cards for free, if you need one.

So: check with your current provider how much they charge for one. If it's under 10€ I wouldn't try cutting it and order a new one.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
not in europe.

if u buy it directly from the apple store there is no need to activate it with a simcard. u can just boot it up and go through the set up of iOS.

my old iPhone 5 from a provider asks to be activated. my iPhone 6 i bought at Apple does not

Strange because I remember buying my iPhone 6 at the Apple Store in Amsterdam, unlocked, and I needed a sim card just to unlock and activate the phone. Or was that al just a bad dream? :eek:

CanadaMaple

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Strange because I remember buying my iPhone 6 at the Apple Store in Amsterdam, unlocked, and I needed a sim card just to unlock and activate the phone. Or was that al just a bad dream? :eek:

Nope thats the case. Wont activate without one. Maybe they were thinking iPad with cellular? That will activate without sim.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
While you're waiting for your new sim to arrive, you could always activate the phone using a different card (a friend or relatives' if they have a Nano sim or a cheap/free PAYG one.) You wouldn't need any credit on it. As you're purchasing from the Apple Store, there's no risk of it locking to that network.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
If you don't want to cut the SIM I'm sure your mobile operator can do the job for you or give you a brand new SIM linked to your existing contract.
To be honest I don't remember if is possible to activate the iPhone without a SIM, since I switched to the nanosim with iPhone 5 and I bought it on contract, so the carrier gave me the iPhone and the new SIM at the same time

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Nope thats the case. Wont activate without one. Maybe they were thinking iPad with cellular? That will activate without sim.

weird i used my iPhone 6 as an iPod Touch for a week til my old plan from my 5 expired.

when i restored my iPhone 5 (T-Mobile DE) i got a pop up to activate it. on my 6 it goes straight to the home screen after the iCloud Set Up

CanadaMaple

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
weird i used my iPhone 6 as an iPod Touch for a week til my old plan from my 5 expired.

when i restored my iPhone 5 (T-Mobile DE) i got a pop up to activate it. on my 6 it goes straight to the home screen after the iCloud Set Up

That's really odd. Maybe they have them provisioned differently in your country for the newer devices?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I got mine yesterday and I cannot say enough about how good the phone is.

funtime180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks everyone! I got the phone no problem at the Apple Store. They activated it with a nano SIM card that they had. After I went to the corner shop where they have punched out my old SIM card debt an to a nano sim, and they only charged me 1€. Great overall.
Here is a photo:

image.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS 128GB Silver

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Wow this is your first smartphone? You have missed so much over the last 7 years! Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Google Maps... and the list goes on! So much to catch up on!

funtime180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Wow this is your first smartphone? You have missed so much over the last 7 years! Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Google Maps... and the list goes on! So much to catch up on!

Yep! My first smartphone, you can see my old phone in the picture. The girl at the store said that I would notice a difference.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks everyone! I got the phone no problem at the Apple Store. They activated it with a nano SIM card that they had. After I went to the corner shop where they have punched out my old SIM card debt an to a nano sim, and they only charged me 1€. Great overall.
Here is a photo:

View attachment 560182

Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS 128GB Silver

That's weird, my box didn't come with the SIM card ejection tool.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Congrads!!! They could give you the sim for free, Apple gets cheap here. But anyway enjoy your phone. It is the best phone on the market now. It holds its value better than Androids and it is better than Androids(tried Galaxy S6 last week for a day). Good luck!!!

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
So jealous. I've always wanted the 6 plus, but I'm stuck on this goddamn Z10. Trust me, this thing is giving me hell! (Not trying to compete with you by the way)

This is how I felt a few years back watching all my friends with their then-high-tech devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.