First iPhone Update Soon?, Apple Committed to GSM/EDGE for Europe

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

RBC Capital Markets analysts spoke with Apple VP Greg Joswiak and came to a few speculative conclusions about Apple's plans.

They expect that "upcoming iPhone software updates would include new widgets, peer-to-peer applications (chat, picture messaging, social networking), location-based services, MMS support, home networking, and possibly some integration with Mac OS X Leopard." The first iPhone update is reportedly expected soon.

According to other notes, "Apple appears firmly committed to EDGE/GSM and its Q4CY07 European launch"

Article Link

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Let's hope Safari is snappier. I don't care about 3G, it's not in my city. If I was Euoropean though, I probably wouldn't mind the size/battery life trade off for faster d/l while driving (it's the only place I am w/o wi-fi)

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

I hope this update addresses some bugs as well as adding new features.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
What do they mean by "location-based" services? If that means augmented GPS or whatever it's called (whatever the tech is that calculates your current position based on location/triangulation using cell towers), that would make me a happy guy! I'm guessing it's something that isn't quite as exciting.

madagi

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Hanover, PA
I don't like the "speculative conclusions" part of that but it would be awesome if they were right... especially about the MMS part. I don't know why that wasn't included in the first place. It seems strange that something so common/simple wouldn't have been included at launch but they'd add it in an update.

Tsuius

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
GTA
Apple's primary negotiation objectives with European carriers are said to focus on securing affordable data service plans (rather than royalties), along with control over pricing and sideloading of apps/updates, to assure the "entire solution at right value."

I hope this is similar to what Apple is trying to achieve with Canadian wireless provider Rogers. Rogers data rates ($100.00 for 200 MB) are not usable with the iPhone. Since Rogers has no competition they are not compelled to reduce data rates and this is why it is not coming to Canada?

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
If I had a dollar for every report I have seen about an update coming soon, I would be rich. These same reports of an update coming soon have been circulating since about June 30th. I really hope one comes soon and will have some new features, but I don't expect to see one soon.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
yeah, I'm sick of talk about the updates... GIVE ME iCHAT!!!

Just get it out, I'm so ready for it and a few minor improvements.

Just my opinion of course.

Bush438

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
You have to love how vague these executives always are when it comes to talking about future products/software upgrades.

Its seems though as if this iPhone 'Nano' will be a reality in this calendar year. Also seems like a iPhone with more memory is slated as well.

The 3G part of it is what I find amazing. How european carries are going without it is beyond me. I think sales for this device in Europe will be sour at best. I have lived in Europe and its a different ball game over there when it comes to cell phones.

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
3G needed in europe

so many people that have spoken to me about the iPhone in the past month have said that they like the idea, and they'd be tempted to see if it was alright, but as it uses Edge, they wouldn't even consider it

and even now 3G is being superceeded so even if the next iPhone model included 3G, it's still going to seem like last years technology

a shame, cos i think it'd sell like hot cakes over here if it had 3G

sicasaire

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
BAKERSFIELD, CA
The updates seem to good to be true, i would like to see a transcript of the interview to see if i would make similar speculations before i get too excited... I still want a good app to manage and balance my finances... that is the only thing i really miss from my old phone...expense view takes to long to load on edge and isnt customizable enough... (*sigh* and i wish it ran off my phone instead of off safari)

TheNumberOneFan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
i want some sort of right click feature

when I want to open links in new tabs, or copy/paste, ect

also a way to capture video, i'm sure it's possible

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
What do they mean by "location-based" services? If that means augmented GPS or whatever it's called (whatever the tech is that calculates your current position based on location/triangulation using cell towers), that would make me a happy guy! I'm guessing it's something that isn't quite as exciting.
I sure hope so. I know that when you go into the service menu you can watch the list of nearby towers and their signal strength. I think that is how non-gps phones triangulate your location.

- James

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I was really looking forward for iChat as well, but now that I found these sites, i don't really care for iChat anymore. These sites work great:

https://www.iphonechatclient.com/login.php?error=true&detail=nousername
https://iphone.beejive.com:8189/ajax/

But I still need more stuff for my iphone.
They're alright, but man does it ever drink the battery. An actual client-side application (as iChat would be) would be far more battery efficient, as it doesn't have to sit there and constantly poll the server for new updates.

sicasaire

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
BAKERSFIELD, CA
They're alright, but man does it ever drink the battery. An actual client-side application (as iChat would be) would be far more battery efficient, as it doesn't have to sit there and constantly poll the server for new updates.
I agree i noticed that using apps like BeeJive via Safari seems to drain my battery a lot. I Think IChat would be a lot more friendly to my battery life

TheNumberOneFan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
also the charging to 100% issue should be fixed, mine has never until yesterday it finally did once, but now it's back to the "98% full" thing..

Baumi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
I don't care about 3G, it's not in my city. If I was Euoropean though, I probably wouldn't mind the size/battery life trade off for faster d/l while driving (it's the only place I am w/o wi-fi)
At least in Germany, "official" free WiFi is the exception (no, Starbucks doesn't offer it here), and people seem to be getting more conscious about securing their home WLANs, as well. 3G OTOH may not be ubiquitous, but pretty much every town seems to be covered. (Except for really small villages.) As much as I adore the interface, I won't be getting an iPhone, unless it comes with 3G and an affordable data plan.

BTW: Ironically, using 3G while driving or riding a train is the one situation where it's pretty much a hit-and-miss experience. At least with my provider (which is, admittedly, a "budget" provider), the 3G coverage is spotty once you get out to the countryside, and being in a car or a fast moving train seems to interfere with the reception, as well, so it often falls back to GSM or the connection is dropped completely. I find that I can usually check my mail while riding a train (using a 3G phone as a Bluetooth modem), but continouus web browsing or listening to internet radio is a pain when your connection keeps getting dropped. Still, it's wonderful to be able to mail work documents while sitting in a café, so I do get my money's worth out of my 3G contract.

DamFu

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
This really does not tell us anything new other than confirming that cheaper versions will be released. "Soon" does not help me set expectations on when we will see an update

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
We all need to be on the lookout for iPhone testing in Europe. I too am curious to how well data will communicate with many of Europes high speed trains. Also, does anyone use their iPhone on the Acela here in the states? and If so, how well does EDGE connect as you fly along?

macUser2007

macrumors 65832
May 30, 2007
EDGE just sucks, compared to 3G

The main reason why I did not get an iPhone. I currently use an HTC Trinity, which is 3G (and it has built-in GPS:).

In Los Angeles, EDGE is fine for checking email, but browsing the internet is a throwback to the early '90s - slow as molasses and in practice unusable. 3G has actually made browsing usable (I get between 500-670k on the West Side.) I also listen to either Shoutcast or the BBC while driving. Once you try it, you wonder how you lived without it before.

So, without 3G, the iPhone is a no go for me, and I guess for many others. Oh, and the built in GPS is great when traveling. Get with it, Steve....

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i thought for europe they would have 3g since its a majority. Sham on apple. For me as i don't travel much having a small battery but 3g would have rocked for me