First Job Resume Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dmac77, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Hi all,

I've started to scout out places to submit applications for a job. I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to, Subway, Joe's Crab Shack (hosting), McDonald's (ugh), Pizza Hut (ugh), and a local steakhouse/seafood restaurant (also hosting). I turn 16 in a little less than a month, and a job is kind of necessary if I want a car (I get the pleasure of paying for gas and insurance unlike all my friends).

Now here's my question; do I need a resume? If I do, what do I put on it, since I don't have any work experience? Am I supposed to put academic achievements on it (honor role, 3.8 GPA, etc.)? Do I put club activities that I'm involved in (Quiz Bowl, Photo Club) on it, and any awards associated with those clubs (1st place prize for floral photography in the county fair) on it? Volunteer activities (cleaning a elderly neighbors house weekly)?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I just don't know what to put on a resume since I have absolutely zip work experience.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Don

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Put all you think are positive and may help you getting the job.

3. BeckyG macrumors member

BeckyG

First - good for you for taking your future into your own hands! A resume is a great place to start! Second - never apologize for asking a question, that is how we learn!

It doesn't matter where you are applying for a job - your resume is a direct reflection of YOU so it should shine on every desk it lands regardless of it winding up in McDonald's or Burger King.

You mentioned that you have no real work experience; however, you have SKILLS that can be used in the environments you mentioned (mostly restaurants). I would focus on your COMMUNICATION skills. If you wind up hosting your PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS will get a workout on a regular basis. Being a FAST LEARNER is imperative in the restaurant world - no server wants you seating their section out of order - you are the first person responsible for their income (by seating X customer in his/her section) so you should really memorize the sections of the restaurant. You have to be quick on your feet in the restaurant world.

Your volunteer experience shows a potential employer much about your character - include it for sure. And, there is no way I wouldn't include my achievements. Some other heading suggestions:

Clubs and Organizations

Honors and Distinctions

I look at student (college) resumes often and I would be happy to critique your draft if you like.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've never needed a resume for a retail or restaurant job. And if you're on the honor roll, you're probably overqualified for McDonalds or Pizza Hut anyways.

5. ethical macrumors 68000

No 16 year old with zero work experience looking for a part time job is over-qualified for The D's or Pizza Hut.

Just list academic things - results etc. Then below under a new heading list Activities. That can include all your clubs and hobbies etc.

6. BeckyG macrumors member

BeckyG

You may not have 'needed' one, but had you had one you would have presented yourself as a serious and professional applicant - it doesn't matter how old you are or the job type - it is good practice. Don't discourage him...

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd do the same thing, except I'd list extra curricular activities, club activities, and achievements first. Education should be second on the list because, lets face it, every high school student applying for these types of jobs are in high school. ;) All you can do is list your GPA, which is nice, but can be listed later. I don't know if a potential employer feels that the best and most suitable person for a job is the kid with the highest GPA. Things like personality and the general ability to do work are probably more important in the restaurant business.

8. ethical macrumors 68000

Yeah you're right that would make more sense.

OP: Just remember to tailor it so the parts relevant to the job are easily seen. It sounds cheesy but start sentences with strong words. Make sure what you write shows that you are committed (long-term involvement in groups), reliable (same again), hard-working, sensible...etc etc. You should be able to pack it out to fill about a page, but don't waffle! You'll bore them and they'll forget you.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you have no previous work experience, a resume seems like a waste of time. It might be more beneficial to write a cover letter explaining why you're not including a resume (you're looking for your first job) and list your academic achievements and volunteering in the letter.

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Don't most applications these days have areas for academic experience, activities and a place to list skills that will be beneficial in said job?

11. ethical macrumors 68000

Well if they do then a resume is needless. Depends on what's on the form. I'm sure the OP can work it out though.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Well, this is the point I was making. I think there is enough area within the application itself to list the necessary information needed at the level of job the OP is thinking of applying at.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Working on your resume early is great and you'll learn to improve it a lot as you get older. But for now, I'd really be thinking more about getting out there and learning how to talk to employers, learn how to get your foot in the door without a resume.

At your age, I'd be massively impressed if you came into my place, and with confidence said you'd like a job and over the next week or two show enough tenacity to earn respect and credibility. Learn this basic skill now and you'll have a whole lot of great stuff to actually put on your resume, which will important when you're out of college :)

Oh and look presentable, but don't start turning up at KFCs in your tweed and monocle :D

(Politeness, flexibility and punctuality might be some useful key words when applying to jobs at Pizza Hut etc)

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why would you want a car?

You don't have to live your life making the same mistake as everybody else.

15. iOrlando macrumors 68000

dont need a resume for any of those fast food places. If you have the initiative to actually make a resume anyway, i recommend not applying to any of those places because you will be too bored out of your mind and you would watch your brain cells die as time goes on. Harsh? yes. but someone's got to tell you.

and to the poster above him...i actually remember having that same kind of question on a previous thread months ago..why teenagers don't need cars.

conclusion was teenagers only need cars to "get away" from parents. Big picture: little benefit is had from a teenager having their own car. the whole argument, well I need a car to get to work is total BS. responsibility comes when you are 18, go to college or military, graduate HS, vote, etc..thats responsibility.

in many states, teenagers cant ride with anyone except for parents up to 2 years after license anyways. states have basically looked at 18 as the driving age...which i agree with...if states actually let people vote on issues/laws..I am sure many states would raise the limit to 18, but elected officials are too afraid to touch the issue and actually change the limit therefore they go the route of regulating the hell out of it and making it pretty awful to drive when you are 16 or 17.

16. ethical macrumors 68000

When I was 17 I had a summer job that was 20 minutes drive away, on a farm....without my own car I wouldn't have been able to do that job. Not everyone is talking BS ;)

Not to mention the time I saved my parents, who previously had to drive me into town or to friends houses (we lived in the country).

I know this isn't the right thread, or sub-forum, but I just want to say that responsibility doesn't only come when you reach 18. I know this personally. I'm not in this category anymore...but even so, don't belittle the younger members.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I agree, let the young lad make his decisions and seek out responsibility. Getting a job and saving for your first car is a great and pretty exciting experience, I think it should be encouraged and any anti-driving sentiment kept under wraps.

I've always had a car since I was able to drive (except for 4 years in London) and the freedom it gives you in superb. I'm also proud of the cars I buy and look after them, they are expensive but what you get from them is very rewarding.

You can always go on road trips, and if you're a skiier or snowboarder a car is invaluable! Load it up and off you go! Base camping is so much easier with a car too if you're into that sort of thing. Anyways.. going off tangent now :)

18. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I just want to thank everyone for replying. I'll make a short resume this week and post it if anyone wants to critique it. Those of you who are saying that most places that I'm thinking of applying to don't require a resume, but I think it could be a useful tool to differentiate myself from anyone else who applies for the same position.

Yes, I do know that I'll probably be bored out of my mind, but there isn't much else that anyone my age can do. I can understand people saying that a 16 year old doesn't need a car, an you're right I don't need a car, but it would be a great way for me to break away from my way over controlling mother. Plus, pretty much everyone at my school has a car and it's kind of a necessary thing, otherwise you get labeled as a welfare kid. Shallow I know, but I am in high school after all.

I have one more question. For references, is it okay to use two teachers and my godmother?

Thanks,

-Don

19. BeckyG macrumors member

BeckyG

I have one more question. For references, is it okay to use two teachers and my godmother?

Thanks,

-Don[/QUOTE]

Teachers - yes. Godmother - what is her profession? Why not approach a guidance counselor? Or one of your club advisors?

Also, be sure to keep these references posted on the jobs for which you are applying. Maybe create an email group to let them all know you just applied for X job at Y company...so they will have a 'heads up' when these potential employers are calling them to talk about you.

Regular communication with your references will keep your name at the front of their mind and in the event they become aware of a job that would be good for you they will be able to simply reply to one of your recent emails. You will be fresh in their mind all summer long.

20. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

Don't apply for McDonalds if you're already dreading it. Going to work somewhere you hate is the worst feeling in the world. Do you have Chic Fil A where you live? They love to hire really positive people and give good hours if you work hard.

A resume is NOT required for fast food places, but if you're applying somewhere as a hostess it might be a good idea. It definitely looks professional and I know where I work, we've hired people JUST because they had a resume. But make sure the resume LOOKS good. I was taught in one of my college classes that you should always keep the resume down to one page. Make your name big and bold. Use a Microsoft Word template if you don't know where to start. List EVERYTHING you're good at, even silly things like being computer literate, a fast typer, fast learner, etc etc. You'll get a job, don't fear.

PS. When I was 15, I wanted a cell phone like all my friends and my mom said "Get a job and buy one yourself." I've been working since, paying for my gas, phone, all 3 cars I've gone through, and my own college. It's more satisfying when you buy your own things anyways.

21. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't bother with a resume. Dress up, go in and ask for an application, fill it out, and bring it back. Most low end retail and starting food service jobs aren't going to require a resume, especially since you don't have any relevant work experience. Just showing up in proper attire (ie a dress shirt and slacks) will differentiate you plenty from the normal teenagers that show up; my last job hired me over another candidate partly because I showed up in a suit and the other guy couldn't even bother with an ironed shirt and tie.

Its pretty natural for a 16 year old to want a drivers license and a car, your two line agenda laden statement probably isn't going to change his mind.

22. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Last time I checked, if you wanted to fill in a job position at, in this case, McDonald's, I once saw a tray with job submission forms. Perhaps you should go in and ask for those and that's the only thing you'll need. I don't think any of those places will ask for any sort of resume, as it's not a position which requires any knowledgeable experience. You're better off if you go to the restaurant itself and ask how you may opt for a job in there.

Source: going to all those places and being served by dull people. You will be fine.

23. heylookitskarl macrumors newbie

Think about a Resume as a way to let the Employer you are applying for see you in the best possible light. Use this to your advantage and put on your resume whatever would make YOU look the best.