First laptop help!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dalorbi, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Dalorbi macrumors newbie

My other thread was getting no replies soo.. Am i allowed tomdo this?

Im sure there are lots of threads like this but im not bothered to adapt their situation to mine.

So anyway ive got a budget $1600 and the choices are

1. Macbook air 11" i7 (2.0 ghz) 8gb ram 120gb, $1539
    2. Macbook pro 13" i5 (2.5 ghz) 8gb ram 500gb, $1469
    3. Macbook air 13" i5 (1.8 ghz) 8gb ram 120gb, $1459

So here's my situation, im like 13 and value portablity, though its not like im going to be sending this thing around everywhere (since im only in year 8) but this is gonna be my first laptop. Why macbook, just because im a fanboi and rich.

Anyway im keeping this for a good deal of time and will do light - medium video editing, programming and running java and c++ programs and will be playing medium games, From Minecraft to semi heavy games Portal 1 & 2, Emulators n64 - gba, and downloading unpacking, packing and creating a heck load of files. I will do some audio work and my assignments on it.

P.s. this is my first laptop and ive already got an iPad sooo... The transformer prime should i even be cinsidering that as a first laptop?

So now the big question which should i get and is it worth getting the prime

2. MrAnthonySutton macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro.
    You will need the power to dual boot windows depending on the programming you will want to accomplish. Plus, the MacBook Pro has a lot of extra ports. You can always take a peek at the apple refurbished store. You may be able to get something a little better that is still in your price range :)

3. DFTU101 macrumors member

For all those games and files, you will run out of space with only 128 GB SSD on the Mac Airs. Some updates for OSX can be almost 1 GB at times. Looks like your only real choice for the power/hard drive space you require is the MBP

4. Dalorbi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far... But one thing is stopping me going pro
    Thats the ssd and screen. Is the ssd really that faster than hdd and how good/bad is the mbp screen

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Screen on MBP is great - you can upgrade HD to SSD - also buy RAM 3rd party now from Apple.

6. Dalorbi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks looks like for me its mbp all the way... refurbished of course

7. bf2008 macrumors member

Hi, for the MBP you can get the extra RAM online, which will cost around half of what apple charges.
    The SSD is miles faster than an HDD, I'd say it's the most important computer upgrade in the last 5 years at least.
    You can also get an SSD for the MBP online, it may still be within your budget.

8. Jhonnsscott macrumors newbie

Re: First laptop help!!!

Hello guys,

I am suffering from the same problem from my new HCL laptop.... But thanks for quality answers. All of them are helpful...