First laptop (rMBP)- what accessories should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mobilitech, Jul 29, 2012.

1. mobilitech macrumors newbie

Hello guys/gals,

I'm about to pickup my first Apple laptop, retina display model after having Powermac G5s & Mac Pros. That said I am out of the loop on possible accessories for Apple laptops and I guess the Retina Macbook in particular if it has to do with a case.

So I know I want to pickup:

• Apple TV
    • Some sort of sleeve/case (I've been scouring the dedicated thread)

But what else should I pickup? Any cords, adapters, gadgets? I love gadgets :) I also have a basic iPad 2 if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

2. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Without knowing more about how you plan to use your new Mac, I would only recommend an external HDD for Time Machine backups. You could look at Time Capsule for automatic wireless TM back ups, or just a plug-in HDD.

I don't know what cords or other accessories you would need, but with a good protective sleeve, an AppleTV, and a back up drive, plus that beautiful new rMBP, you should be off to a good start..

Congratulations, BTW! :)

3. AppleDApp, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Do you need a direct wired connection?
    Do you want Speakers? Headphones?
    A larger display?
    Maybe a way to lock your macbook if you leave it unattended at times.

maybe an external drive if you have more media files that can't all stay on your main SSD.

Maybe some accessories for your iPad? Smartcover?
    camera connection kit?

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Apple TV for sure. AirPlay Video and Audio streaming is one of the best features.

5. mobilitech thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah sorry about the lack of personal info!

Okay so I plan on buying the new Thunderbolt Drobo once it comes out and I also just bought an Apple TV for streaming. I don't need headphones or speakers either.

What is the consensus on things like HD antennas? I want to eliminate my cable.

I love gadgets and whatnot and just came upon some disposable income so I want to see what's out there.

Thanks!:)

6. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

On my order I added the:
    Ethernet adapter for when there is no WIFI
    Mag safe to Magsafe2 converter for the extra Apple adapters I have.
    AppleCare. My home owners insurance wont cover it. And my AMEX card only pushes the warranty out to year 2.

I would have added a superdrive for those times you need to read or burn CD media but I already have one.

Third party I added an iCarbon skin for the top and bottom for protection from scratches.

Leaning more toward a light padded travel bag than a sleeve but we shall see.

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I just download whatever show I want to watch and stream it to the living room TV.

8. Dre Sage macrumors newbie

Dre Sage

I looked up the drobo. the cheapest one I saw was 650 dollars on their site. :eek:

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Ok...and the issue with that is? :confused:

10. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The 2nd Gen Drobo starts at 400$ The issue with that from my reading is the unreliability of Drobo products as well as it proprietari-ness.

11. Dre Sage macrumors newbie

Dre Sage

Too much.
    Oh really. I'll pass on Drobo then thanks.

12. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the Drobo box scares me. People think their data is fully protected, but a single point failure in the controller hardware or firmware can hose your data. I prefer having cheap independant drives which are frequently synced with software like ChronoSync. That may use more storage, but it's still much cheaper and I have 100% redundancy.