"First Love" - Community ? of the week #3

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Sorry, guys I was slammed yesterday and didn't get to post this week's question until this morning. :eek:

So, who was your first love and what's the story? Was it true love, just a crush, or simple lust? Did you make your feelings known and if so how did it work out?

My "first love" was in grade school, 5th and 6th grade to be exact. There was a girl in my grade named Lindsley and I had the biggest crush on her. She was athletic, nice, and had a body that made my prepubescent hormones pretty crazy. Not that I would have known what to do with those hormones as I had never even kissed a girl. Let's just say she made me feel warm and fuzzy. :p

So, on a field trip to the roller skating rink I gathered the courage to give her a note. This being the late 80's I, of course, asked her to "go with me". For you youngsters reading this in the 80's "going together" meant being a couple, kind of like "going steady" in the 50's.

Well, she said NO! Flat out, no hesitation, she didn't want to be my girlfriend. Being a small school she told everyone else and showed them the note I had written. I was crushed, embarrassed, and humiliated all at the same time. :(

So for me, first love was brutal. So much so that I didn't ask another girl out until college. :eek:

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

A girl called Emily, we ended up dating for 2 years I think, which was pretty mammoth considering we were both 10 & 11, it was good, we did things we prolly shouldn't have at such an early age, but it was all harmless fun really looking back. I lost interest towards the end and we broke up, she spread ALOT of rumors about me, which haunted me for about 4 years after.

We met about a year ago and she giggled and whispered something to her friend, who then laughed, it made me pity her that she was still so childish about it all...

Just come out of a 3 1/2 year relationship recently so that kinda sucks atm, she was my first true love, but we really drifted apart during uni, not great, but life moves onwards and upwards, and it's for the best really.

3. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Hmmm.... for me there were crushes and then there was my first "true love" which didn't occur until I was in my early 20's, but that was pretty intense.

His name was Jim, we met in college and I was instantly attracted to him from the minute we met. Took about a week for me to speak to him and within the next month we were psuedo-"dating". It wasn't for another 2 months that I realized he was also dating any and every other girl in town :eek:

Long story short, there was an incredible attraction and love between us that kept us going back and forth with each other for about 2 years. We finally split up, and didn't see each other for about 3 years. Then we literally ran into each other near an elevator one day, and all of the same sparks were still there. Thus began another 1 1/2 years of drama that ended because yet again he was dating other people (jerk :mad:) I finally wised up, kicked him to the curb and haven't seen or spoken to him for about 10 years.

I will admit though that I do still occasionally think of him even though I've had other boyfriends since, and am now married with children. I think it just shows that true first loves never seem to die.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My first love was a girl I was united with after my first relationship ended. I wasn't in a bad way but she talked to me and one thing lead to another... We never even officially dated. At the time she had a boyfriend in Brazil or somewhere :)rolleyes:) who she was going out to see. It was just really messy. Really really messy.

And I think seeing her for months is what made me love her. She was semi-forbidden fruit.
    But we both called it a day because it was just too messy. Then less than a year later I met my now-girlfriend at college, 7 years on we're still going very strong :). Which is a very long and boring story :D. I love her more than the girl from before, guess that was more lust or whatever fancy people and Jeremy Kyle watchers call it these days.

So lets do it in small text. Before I even planned on going college I had a dream about meeting a girl with brown hair at a learning instution where you could wear your own clothes... so it wasn't school.
    First day of college I met her and it was all that love at first sight stuff. Instant deep connection and all that hoohah. She felt the same and although we didn't speak directly to each other, we spoke about each other to friends.
    We spoke the next day. Bam! Instant click. Everything went perfect and we were dating 2 months later.
    7 years on we both finished college, she moved away to uni whilst I went to a local uni. Made that whole long distance thing work.
    S'brilliant.

5. johnmadden78 macrumors member

Was wondering if I'd missed the new question... :D

Two crushes stand out. One is, in true Charlie Brown fashion, the red-haired girl at the bus-stop. Saw her every day for five years, never ones had the stones to talk to her. I'll argue that after the first three I'd idealised her so much I knew I was better off keeping her that way, but more likely it's that I was a (synonym for cat).

The other, much more briefly, was a friend of my cousin Paula. I met her at a family party and she and I went into one of the bedrooms and she played a CD she got that had just come out that day - 'Nevermind' by Nirvana. That's as far as it went (same reason as before, only honest about it from the get-go).

True love, though? Only had one of those. Met her when I was 20, introduced by a mutual friend that had been trying to get us to meet for two years and claimed we were soul-mates. After much conversation we deduced that we'd been having 'near misses' with each other for the better part of a decade. We gave it a shot and went on a date during which I wholly embarrassed myself in many different ways. Was convinced that was it, but I asked for a second date anyway.

We've been married four years now, and our son just turned seven months old.

6. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Congrats! Parenthood is scary as all get out but oh so worth it. :)

7. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

What an awesome story! Give us some more details. Is there a big age difference? Not that it matters, I'm just trying to picture how old you were when you made that bold flight to California for Valentines day. Did you eventually move closer together or will getting married be the first time you've been in the same location? It's so cool to see long distance connections work out. :)

8. Keebler macrumors 68030

a red headed true Irish girl and you never spoke to her!!? :)

I love red heads so much I probably would have spoken to her too much and creeped her out :)

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My first love was Pam. We went out on and off from 5th grade until a little after college. We have known each other since kindergarten. Through all these years we have remained good friends and jump on planes to see each other every so often.

As a matter of a fact, she is coming up to NY in 3 weeks for our 30th high school reunion. She'll be staying with me and we have lots of reunion stuff planned for the 4 day weekend. :D

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My first love was Chris (chrmjenkins to the macrumors community). We met on math team in high school (I know, I'm impressed, too). I was in the math classroom at lunch one day and he walked in to do a problem with our teacher, "Nag," that we affectionately call the "goat problem." We finally went on our first date almost a year later and have been together ever since (6 years and 3 months now).

I hope it was true love, because if not I just bought a wedding dress for no reason at all. :p We are getting married this New Year's eve.

11. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Ok I'll bite...my first "love" was my bff in HS. Classic scenario of her hating me when we first meet; we had a lot of Honor's/AP classes together and saw each other quite a bit. Over the course of sophomore to senior year we became really good friends.

People around us always told us that we were very lovie dovie around each other but we always played it off. I remember realizing right around prom senior year that I had fallen for her. She felt the same and it pretty much came down to one of us just stepping up and saying something about how we felt. She ended up at prom with some douche and I ended up going with one of my best friends; the whole situation wrecked me good and I was a mess seeing her at prom with some dude. Just to put it into perspective she was the type of chic who was VERY sporty and book wormy’ish [kinda like the chic in She’s All That]. Prom was probably the first time I [or anyone else at our school] had ever seen her in makeup or a dress for that matter. Long story short, after prom I came clean and told her how I felt; actually she did first [still kicking myself for that].

We ended up spending the month before graduation and most of summer as a couple before she broke it off and moved away for school. It pretty much was a necessity for us to split since she’s the type that had everything planned out [4 years of college, med school, internship, etc]. I wanted to wait for her as long as it took; but she didn’t think that was fair to me or whatever. We’ve sparingly kept in touch over the years but it as been sometime…she’s a fancy Cardiologist somewhere now…chances are she’ll always be the one that got away. :rolleyes:

12. MicBook macrumors regular

We met about 2 years I was working for a theatre group she was in and I think there was an instant connection I always knew I had feelings for her but was too scared to do anything about it I even took another girl out during that time and If this question had been asked 3 weeks ago I would've said that mine was just a crush but I manned up one night and told her how I feel about her turns out she feels the same about me and we are now "together" taking it day by day getting to know each other and we couldn't be happier we can't go 30 minutes without texting each other

13. MegaMillions macrumors regular

Gosh i've had so many. I'm like Mozart. For anyone who knows what he was like as a kid, he practically fell in love with any girl he saw.

I have really intense crushes on girls for short periods of time, and then move on to the next girl. Rarely does anything actually happen between me and the girl, but i'm hoping that'll change in the near future.

The first girl that I "fell in love" with was my first real girlfriend. We dated from July 2008 to January 2009. I fell in love with her after about a month of dating. I knew that I was feeling what people define as "being in love" because I would uncontrollably laugh with joy at the sight of her (it was a semi-long distance relationship and we saw each other about every two weeks), and everything she did looked like the most beautiful thing in the world to me. Two weeks after she broke up with me, I hung out with her again and it was almost physically painful to see her in person knowing that we had broken up. It was clear I was definitely in love with her.

Having said all this, I don't think this idea of "being in love" is the way a lot of people make it out to be, or the way it's portrayed in movies. What is "Love?" What a guy says he's "in love" with a girl, generally what it means is that he's deeply infatuated and strongly attracted to her. And also, I don't think being in love with someone is as clear cut and unmissable as it's made out to be either. People always say "you'll know if you're in love!" but I don't think that's entirely true.

Anyways, i've gotta stop jabbering. :eek:

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Dude, can I have your address so I can send you a replacement period key?

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The note shown to the rest of the class was a cruel middle school move. :D

I used to sit in the far back of my middle school classes with the other kids who were 'too cool' for class, passing notes and trying to get girls to school dances with me. :D All the notes got saved and occasionally got stolen from a purse and resulted in horrifying exposés and much drama...didn't discourage me however.

I think that my age group was one of the first to hit middle school with AIM...we started 6th grade in 1999, right as AIM was becoming popular. It became a nice substitute for note passing while everyone was at home (if you didn't have AIM you weren't cool). I asked my first two 'girlfriends' out over AIM (class I know). We discussed our love and social studies homework assignments over the internet....bliss.

Since then my stories are far less innocent and quite a bit less fun to reminisce about :p

16. MicBook macrumors regular

sorry as you ca tell I don't write much