Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj458

Suspended
Mar 10, 2022
Every retail birthing of these glorious products is an immaculate conception. Let us cherish it in perpetuity until the successor for the device.

Clean your room.

960x0.jpg
I like keep it original1!!!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Go for the M1 Air. The M2 Air is not worth the asking price. But the M2 Air is thinner at the USB-C side than the M1 Air but the M1 Air is thinner in the trackpad side.
For base model, the M1 Air is the better deal as it actually can perform better than the base M2 Macbook Air. That's not saying the M2 Macbook Air doesn't have its place. The ideal config is the 16/512 and it sits nicely under the base 14" Macbook Pro at $1700. You get less ports, less advance display, but it's lighter and slightly cheaper. Seems like a good trade-off going either way. The only problem is it's BTO only.

Reactions: u+ive

chrism514

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2016
Montreal

It's July 15 in New Zealand and Australia, which means the M2 MacBook Air launch day has officially kicked off. Customers in New Zealand and Australia are always the first to get their hands on new devices due to time zone differences.

M2-MacBook-Air-2022-Feature0002.jpg

Customers who ordered the M2 MacBook Air last week are starting to receive their new machines and will soon be sharing their experiences with the new design and M2 chip on the MacRumors forums, Twitter, and other social networks.

Because New Zealand does not have Apple retail locations, customers in Australia will be the first to be able to pick up an M2 MacBook Air from an Apple Store. Available MacBook Air stock in Australia will give us an idea of what we might be able to expect from other stores around the world. Apple is likely to have stock machines available, but custom configurations will need to be ordered online.

Delivery dates for the M2 MacBook Air slipped just after the machine was launched, suggesting that it is in short supply. M2 MacBook Air models ordered online will not be shipping out until mid to late August due to supply constraints.

Following New Zealand and Australia, sales of the MacBook Air are set to begin in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and then North America.

Pricing on the M2 MacBook Air starts at $1,199 in the United States. The updated M2 chip features a faster 8-core CPU and up to a 10-core GPU, plus the body has been redesigned. It includes a larger 13.6-inch display, a MacBook Pro-like chassis with no taper, MagSafe charging, and new colors like Midnight Blue and Starlight.

Get a new M2 MacBook Air today? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: First M2 MacBook Air Orders Now Arriving to Customers in New Zealand and Australia
I pre ordered a midnight M2 MBA, standard configuration early on the first day they were available; the delivery window was July 19-27. As of a few minutes ago, the window already slipped a week to July 27 - August 4. Did this happen to anyone else?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5105973 and u+ive

bu113t

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Howell, MI
I pre ordered a midnight M2 MBA, standard configuration early on the first day they were available; the delivery window was July 19-27. As of a few minutes ago, the window already slipped a week to July 27 - August 4. Did this happen to anyone else?
I ordered a Midnight Black M2 16/512 on Jul 10 and the shipping date hasnt moved... Aug 2-9...

• Wow
Reactions: u+ive

oops1975

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Frisco, TX
I had sone Best Buy rewards so ordered thru them. I guess I have to keep twiddling my thumbs till 19th.
Enjoy my NZ/Aussie brethren!

Midnight will come in daylight

Reactions: 5105973

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
I look forward to some proper reviews as opposed to the unboxing shill reviews. I have one on order, but right from the start had a nagging suspicion I prefer the wedge form. As I watched these "reviews" and looked at my 2019 MBA, I felt even more that it is a better design (for my taste). I'm making an urgent trip to a Mac store this morning, and may well cancel my order and order an M1 instead, and that is nothing at all to do with cost. Sure the M2 has advantages (and a disadvantage in the notch), but I think I like the look and feel of the wedge shape more. I thought the shills all "protested too much" saying how super thin it felt, reading the Apple script. Some even clumsily contradicted themselves on the matter. When put alongside the wedge design it is obvious the front, which is mainly the part you feel, is much thicker. I think the new pro-style design looks boring and a bit ugly. I'm not hating the M2 by the way - I do actually have one on order still and applaud many of the improvements - I'm just less convinced now it is what I want.
So for anyone interested, I went to the store this morning and checked them out side by side. The M2 MBA is a great laptop and best wishes to all those waiting for theirs... But I switched my online order to the M1 MBA. I just like the look and the feel better. To me, the M1 MBA is a MacBook Air, and I have always loved the look and feel of the Airs. The M2 MBA is not really an Air. It is a small MacBook Pro. I do not think it is any coincidence Apple has not written MacBook Air on the M2. I'm happy I'll be using a maxed out M1 MBA for the next few years now. FWIW I guess their lines will become the MacBook Pro 14&16, the MacBook 13&15, and the rumoured 12" could well become the new MacBook Air.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
So for anyone interested, I went to the store this morning and checked them out side by side. The M2 MBA is a great laptop and best wishes to all those waiting for theirs... But I switched my online order to the M1 MBA. I just like the look and the feel better. To me, the M1 MBA is a MacBook Air, and I have always loved the look and feel of the Airs. The M2 MBA is not really an Air. It is a small MacBook Pro. I do not think it is any coincidence Apple has not written MacBook Air on the M2. I'm happy I'll be using a maxed out M1 MBA for the next few years now. FWIW I guess their lines will become the MacBook Pro 14&16, the MacBook 13&15, and the rumoured 12" could well become the new MacBook Air.

Exactly what I was expecting — thank you for reporting back

I think a maxed out M1 MBA might be in my future this year

Maskman7

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Thanks for the info!

Did you check the stock availability?

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Thanks for the info!

Did you check the stock availability?
No because they wouldn't have the specs I wanted in store so I didn't ask about it. I'm in China and generally stock seems to be good here for the M1 and M2 (delivery times are mostly before the end of July). Ironically I am having to wait a bit longer for the M1 now I have switched (24/7 as opposed to 21/7). I am sure that is because the "Back to School" deals went live in Asia yesterday, and there will have been an extra little rush on stock.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Mine arrived today - midnight 8gb/256gb. It's a really nice keyboard. The notch takes a little to get used to

Reactions: 5105973

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019

I LOVE the iPad! My primary (and only) setup right there.

Thanks for that photo. I love to see how much more vertical real estate the iPad has.

I'm looking to have a similar config and add a Mac to my setup (again), and the fact that the Air is lighter than the iPad + MK setup is amazing and attractive.

But I might go with the 14" MBP instead though, as not only the weight is similar to the iPad setup, but the ProMotion screen, and price range is as well (in my preferred config). And the 14" gives me more flexibility should I want to use multiple monitors and a more "traditional computer" feel, features and workflows. It has more "legs".

So I'll wait until the Fall to see if the 14" MBP (and iPads) get M2 to make my decision.

• Love
Reactions: Boardiesboi

DekkyQLD

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2021
Mine arrived today - midnight 8gb/256gb. It's a really nice keyboard. The notch takes a little to get used to
mine is coming Monday, not really the version I wanted but I needed it fast before a trip to EU. Do you mind to get a speed test on this ssd 256 ? Thank you
From QLD ;-)

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
very few available in store and the few went quickly.
wanted a 512G but gone 10 minutes after going online to buy and pickup.
settled for a 256G Starlight and no fingerprints. the Midnight not getting good reviews on that front. great colour but...

Max_G

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
That review led directly to my decision to go for the 14" instead (in the Fall, whether or not they get updated).
I guess the 14" MBP is indeed the better choice. I myself will probably wait for the rumored 15" MBA and decide after that (though I'm pretty sure the coming 14" MBP will again be the better choice).

Dnzilla

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
For base model, the M1 Air is the better deal as it actually can perform better than the base M2 Macbook Air. That's not saying the M2 Macbook Air doesn't have its place. The ideal config is the 16/512 and it sits nicely under the base 14" Macbook Pro at $1700. You get less ports, less advance display, but it's lighter and slightly cheaper. Seems like a good trade-off going either way. The only problem is it's BTO only.
But it’s 2 years old no price drop.
So annoying, the principle of it.
Refurbed doesn’t count as a discount, as even that woulda been available forever ago…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.