First Mac advice....macbook or imac? which gives you more bang for your buck?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CallMeZsaZsa, Jun 12, 2009.

1. CallMeZsaZsa macrumors member

I currently have an older HP desktop and a new sony vaio laptop. Have been thinking of trying a Mac for a while but DH was always turned off by the price. Both my Dad and step-sis swear by their macs, so it may be time for me to jump in and try.

I just got a new sony laptop a few months ago which I use 99% of the time (kids and DH usually use the desktop). Im trying to decide if I should get a laptop or a desktop? I want to get the most I can for my money. Was looking at the 15" Macbook pro vs one of the imacs

look forward to hearing opinions
    thanks!!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well since you use your notebook 99% of the time, the MacBook Pro. With that being said the iMac will give you the same specs at a lower price, because it's not portable. And obviously the extra screen real estate. I would say also maybe thinking about going refurb route on one of them, particularly the iMac even a three year old iMac would see great advances over your old desktop.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMac has more power but it isn't portable. The question is now, power and big screen or portability? 15" MBP is very powerful too so if you aren't a gamer or professional editor, you're not going to get benefit from iMac's power, but its screen is awesome. You already have laptop, so I would go for iMac unless you want portable Mac

4. iBadger macrumors member

All I buy is laptops I just like the ability to hook them up to external monitor/keyboard at a desk or lay on the couch. If you like portability stick with a laptop.

Best bang for the buck will be iMac but you are always stuck at the desk.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As everyone else has already pointed out, it is a trade off between power and portability. The iMac will give you plenty of power and a great screen, but it is not portable. In terms of "bangs for buck" it will win hands down, but at a cost, that of portability.

The MB is a very neat and beautiful computer and is very portable. However, if you want a computer that is portable and powerful, with a superb screen, try the MBP. However, while it is the more expensive option I can recommend it as I have one and it is easily the best computer I have ever owned.

Cheers and good luck

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Since WWDC announced the new 13" MBP, I'd go that route. Then get a decent external monitor. Good portability, plenty of power, etc. I do a lot on my white MB, such as vid editing, photo editing, IT work, etc. and no issues. Also, get the extra 2MB via Egghead, etc. Much cheaper.

Good Luck.

7. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

+1. Perfect setup. Great laptop and a good external monitor.

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I go for the macbook pro , desktop is soo last century :D

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Was I the only one that saw this? That seems to settle the debate?

10. duky macrumors 6502

Perhaps I'm understanding incorrectly but if you already have a Sony laptop why not go for the desktop so that you have both portability and power.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...Reading Makes the World Go (A)Round...

12. emaja macrumors 68000

Why not do both? Buy a MBP and then a nice LCD monitor and full sized keyboard and mouse. Hook up the laptop through the mini Display Port adapter and use it like a desktop when at home, then disconnect and take everything with you when you need to.

That is what I do and now I have the best of both worlds.

13. duky macrumors 6502

I think it's actually centripetal acceleration/gravity that make the world go round but you're right, reading is very important, which is why I did so. My point is that if the desktop is older than the laptop it seems smart to me to replace the desktop and have both a new and portable laptop and a new and powerful desktop. At least that's what I'd do.

If it was so obvious that the OP uses only the laptop then this thread is useless but it sounded like the desktop is an option to the OP hence my response..

14. CallMeZsaZsa thread starter macrumors member

just want to clarify a couple things:

I hardly ever use the desktop b/c I hate that HP...its crazy slow and I get frustrated lol. So Im not opposed to desktops, just that one ;)

I could put the iMac in my bedroom and use it there. I would like to try and do photo editing, movies of the kids etc and the larger screen would be nice on my old eyes lol. (most likely the kids will not be using the iMac since Id like to keep it in good condition and they are little heathens.....just kidding...kinda haha)

But, I do really like laptops. I use mine in the family room and in bed all the time. I guess I just feel indulgent buying another laptop when mine is still new, kwim?

thanks for all the responses :)

15. CallMeZsaZsa thread starter macrumors member

another possibility I didnt think of....thanks!

16. Pommy macrumors member

The iMac is like a laptop on a stand haha ... it uses a mobile chipset and processor and it's not THAT much more powerful than MBPs. The biggest advantage it has is you can configure it w/ up to a R4850, which isn't a slouch of a vid card (altho only the $1800 model and up allow this and the price premium is ridiculous). That's probably only important to you if you're playing games, though.

I do agree w/ the desktop/laptop separation though -- a less powerful machine for mobility and on-the-go productivity on the go and a strong machine as a 'base' to hunker down and get things (or nothing :D) done for hours.

Unfortunately, Apple only has the iMac (laptop on a stand) and Mac Pro (massive overkill workstation), and nothing in between like a nice $1000-1500 minitower with standard desktop parts :( Something like the G4 cube, but less expensive and more powerful. If something like this did exist, I'd be getting it, but alas.

I think your most sensible option is to get a beefier iMac like you said. I like emaja's idea and would tell you to go with that if you didn't already have the Vaio, but since you did ... I guess it's just a question of do you want a potential "desktop replacement" laptop (MBP 15") in addition to a mobile laptop?

17. CallMeZsaZsa thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, not sure what to do.
    My vaio is 17" and was my "desktop replacement" yet still portable. (didnt need a really small one since I only take it out of the house occasionally and wanted something substantial since it would serve as my main computer. )

So...I guess I don't really NEED a mobile laptop. I think I just prefer being able to move around the house with one. That said, I can still use the vaio about the house and keep the iMac in my room.

I think Im split right down the middle and need a factor to sway me one way or the other

18. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

even though the prices of the MacBook Pro line have been considerably lowered on Monday, I think that the iMac still provides the best internals for your money.

But either way, I'm usually using my Aluminum MacBook for a desktop replacement.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That's why I have had six notebooks....

20. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

Sell the Vaio and buy a 15" MBP and get the 24" iMac for desktop use. It's much easier to eliminate the odd OS (windoze) and standardize on OSx. You and the family will be happier. Additionally, I would consider the new mac minis as a desktop. I have 3 minis and they're very reliable and great performers. The new minis also have dual monitor support built in. I was using a windoze workstation for 1 application I run with dual monitors and have since eliminated that requirement with a mini running fusion and windows vista. If you consider the mini I'd suggest the base model and get the faster HD and 4 GB of memory from OWC, definitely the best bang for the $.

good luck and please let us know what you decide
    Dan

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One other suggestion might be a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro...depending on what the needs are regarding the others in the house...

22. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Get an iMac and a Mac Tablet. Oh wait. they havent announced it yet:eek:. It`s been two years since I started dreaming of an Apple Tablet. Apple fulfilled my wish for an Apple Phone after dreaming about it for 2 years. Hope they dont make me wait more this time.

On a serious note MBP seems like the best option for you IMO. It might prove very difficult to adjust to a desktop when your primary computer has been a laptop for years. I too have been using an MB as my only computer for 3 years(also an iBook for a year before that). I cant even imagine using a desktop even though I rarely even move my MB from it`s place. And as far as your doubts about Macs are concerned dont worry you`ll love OSX. In case you dont then bootcamp is always there to help you.

23. macgrl macrumors 65816

24. CallMeZsaZsa thread starter macrumors member

any recs on a good but not too pricey external monitor? thx

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Define "Pricey". Dell is iThink the standard recommendation.