First Mac advice wanted

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamB11, Jul 1, 2014.

1. SamB11 macrumors member

SamB11

Hi, Today I purchased my first mac, (Macbook Pro Retina 15" 256gb storage and 16gb Ram, 2.0ghz quad i7) and have claimed the £60 free Apple Store voucher that was with the promotion.

There are a few questions on my mind that I would like some opinions/advice on from existing Mac users.

1, I intend on storing most of my files externally. I currently have a 500gb USB 3.0 drive that I've been using to store college documents/photos/iTunes media etc. I'm also intending on purchasing an additional 1tb hard drive. I will be starting University in September and will be traveling to and from each day by train. I want to decide what is best to manage my two hard drives, I will be leaving one at home storing time machine backups and using the other one for storing files, which ones best for which job? Can i store backups as well as other data on one hard drive?

2, Should I use the £60 for a Magic Mouse? or is there another accessory that is better? I will mainly be using Photoshop/Illustrator and Auto desk CAD software.

3, Is it worth purchasing a hard shell case for my Mac?

Cheers :)

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

1. You can use a separate partition on the external for backups.

2. Magic mouse is a matter of preference. Consider its another item you need to carry around.

3. Imo, no.

Congratulations on your purchase! :)

3. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

Thanks, So would it just be simple task of creating two partitions in disk utility?

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

yes. Its pretty straight forward and intuitive.

A matter of 3 minutes.

I have different externals and you can even use the same external as timemachine for different macs.
    You just have to use separate partitions and partition before using them for time machine.

5. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

Ah I see, I'm only planning on having two because one will be going to uni with me everyday, the 2nd one will be at home with the backups in case i damage or lose the one i travel with, rather be on the safe side then risk losing my data.

6. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

IMO hard cases generally do more damage than good. Dirt tends to wind up stuck between the two and grind at the case. I've seen more than a few client machines like this whereas my personal without any case is almost pristine.

7. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

ah, ive experience this with my iphone. been in a case since purchase and still has marks on the back :(

8. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Why not a large USB Thumb drive? I used a 64gb Thumb drive along with a 1tb External HD while in college.

I would recommend a Zagg Skin on the laptop. I have been using one on the top and bottom of the laptop. No rest palm or mouse protection as it can mess up the screen.

Goodluck!

9. kidsleepy macrumors member

kidsleepy

At this time, I'd only like to answer #3... and the answer is "no." I recently asked an Genius Bar employee what he thought when he saw those hard shells on laptops, and he told me that they actually weaken the hinges over time.
    Avoid.

10. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

whats the general opinion on keyboard covers, waste of money? am i better off just sticking to my can of compressed air for keeping the keyboard clean?

11. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

I'd say they can be more irritating than helpful (makes keys feel mushy, sort of like you aren't sure if you really just hit it).

If you want to clean, I'd skip the compressed air and use a small, soft paintbrush. Sometimes compressed air can cause damage.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

could damage screen on retina.

13. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

dry paintbrush? or with a small amount electrical appliance cleaner

14. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

Im also considering Apple Care. Ive maxed out my budget getting the actual laptop, so it will be several months before i can be prepared to spend £260 on apple care. Will I be able to buy it in a years time as the 1 year warranty expires? or sometime throughout the forthcoming 12 months? cheers :)

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Buy online, you get 3 free years Applecare, no phone support but the actual warranty.

16. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

1. Just partition your ssd and put the backups on that or buy an external hard drive for 50$
    2. I have a magic mouse and it is pretty useful for college
    3. No... I had one and it scruffed up my macbook pro because dirt got underneath it. I also dont recommend a keyboard cover because it dinged up the retina screen. Just by a laptop case for it and you will be fine.

17. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

is that automatically included? I ordered my mac online 2 days ago.

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Yes, at least for university orders not sure about others. The Applecare offered is an 'Uplift' to phone support for the three years for £60. A few weeks after your MBP arrives you should get a letter confirming the Warranty. If you want to check log in to where you ordered your MBP from, configure a new one and check it says Uplift in the offered Applecare.

I'd personally also cancel and get the £60 gift card, or see if it can be added as it hasn't arrived.

19. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

I got the gift card, However, looking at the configuration I did not pay the £60 for the Uplift, can it be done at a later date for the the same price?

20. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If you want I guess, all it does is add phone support though, you have the actual warranty.

21. SamB11 thread starter macrumors member

SamB11

ah. im going to be treating this thing like a child lol