First Mac, All my Money. Big choice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by I23, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I23 macrumors newbie

Hello, Typical Starving uni student here.

Ive been using an Old Toshiba which is getting ancient with its Budget celeron M processor. Its on its last legs, so Ive saved up enough for a new Macbook.

I have been waiting for the refresh, and had my sights set on the 15''.
    I will need the laptop for plenty of processing, spreadsheets and maths based programs. Also needs to be able to run the latest greatest music software.

I dont game alot, although I still would like to be able to do a little in the future to stave off bordom.

Will the base model and the low end card be good enough to run some common games at any decent level ? I dont care so much about picture quality, but if its lagging and skipping, I will be annoyed.

SO should I spend every cent I have tomorrow on the base, or keep working for a GFX card I may not need.

tl;dr.
    Can I game a little with base 15, mostly need for music.

2. davie18 macrumors regular

I cant answer for sure, but I would think the base 15" would be able to run most games quite well that aren't too intense if you put the graphics on lower.

3. articcine macrumors regular

The 15" will be quite overkill.. The base 13" is more than enough for your use. However, if you'd like the screen size, go for the base model.

4. I23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, Well, if you think it will play a few games, and high end music stuff. I think Ill get the base model tomorrow.

What are my options for upgrading in the future ?

+ with the free Ipod Rebate. Do I just get a free one, or do I have to buy it and then get a rebate a week later ?

5. snottlebocket macrumors newbie

Just out of curiosity but why a mac? All your arguments point to a windows laptop being a much better choice for you.

Macs are more expensive. So if you're low on funds and high on demands, it's not a very good match.

6. I23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am low on funds yes, But funds can be easily replenished. What I'm really low on is patience haha.

I want to try a mac because they are reputed to be well equipt for music processing. I also intend to spend a great deal of time over the coming years working on and staring at this laptop, it may aswell be aesthetically pleasing.

I have worked on windows machines for years, some are amazing, but as far as laptops go, alot feel flimsy and delicate.

7. MacMadeInHeaven macrumors member

You're clearly not as poor as you pretend to be. Your original post was full of lies.

8. I23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lies ?

If I buy this laptop tomorrow It will empty every single cent in my account?

But I still have a small income, I asked if the base 15" will meet my needs. It sounds like the answer is yes. I probably wont need the high spec version from the sound of it, I would rather put my pay away for something else.

9. xpcker macrumors regular

Sometines you just have to take the Leap!

My father was the first with a MBP, then i bought one, then my mother, then my little brother, now my girlfriend and three frieds that always sad (buuu thats not a gaming computer!! it sucks!!!!) now, they three have one (goddam nubs!)

Look this is the thing, i f you don't like the OS, format it and put it windows on it. It will be still the best notebook on the market

10. leman macrumors 604

11. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

1st make sure to use your student discount!

2nd the base 15" will play games your not goign to run the newest games on high settings but that not what macs are really designed for. the 13" pro can handle your needs and coming from that toshiba anything will perform better lol.

i understand what you mean about funds you need a new comp now and youll be low on funds for a week till your next check. ive been there :rolleyes:

i say go for the base 15 if thats what you really want if you dont care aboiut screen size the 13" can suffice but if high end gaming is your goal then you will need the high end 15" but there are people out there playing games like SC2 on medium settings on 11" airs so any of the pros will be fine.

12. eltoslightfoot macrumors regular

eltoslightfoot

Free iPod rebate

Where are you seeing information about a free iPod rebate? That offer usually doesn't happen for a while...

13. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I would look at a refurbished model on Apple's website. The last-gen model is up to 30% off. They look brand new.