First Mac...Antivirus Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jpetros2015, Dec 20, 2015.

1. jpetros2015 macrumors newbie

Just got a Macbook for Christmas. Always had a PC before. Is there anything I need in terms of antivirus? I don't do much with my computers, but I will stream live sports and ufc ppv's. Not sure what kind of stuff I probably get from those sites, but figured you guys might be able to tell me if I need anything or not.

Thanks!

2. unixphone macrumors regular

I have been using Mac since iPhone first generation and never used any antivirus software.
    However, I do have google chrome to stream videos.

3. roxysdad macrumors member

I have never used any anti-virus software on my macs. I really can't see the benefit.

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I've tried two antivirus programs (Norton and Caspersky), but both slowed my system down a lot and were buggy. I finally uninstalled them.

5. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I used an antivirus for a short time and the only thing it has detected were viruses in my very old ZIP files I copied from the Windows machine around 2001 :D

I haven't used one for years now.

6. Tech198 macrumors G4

No need for Antivirus software... No Mac specific viruses.

A/V on Mac, products like "ClamAV for Mac", really there usage is if u are only sharing Windows files across to Mac that need to be scanned safely.

7. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

hi

really long time mac user.

a long time ago i tried symantec and then norton, and found that not only were they really really slowing down my macs but they were never needed and the constant scare tactics that they both use to get you to add more and more pre-checks etc all was madness.

i agree with other posters that you don't need any protection at all, but with three caveats:

1 read and understand the great apple page where all the security related info is listed:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security/

2 make sure you do have turned on the ability for apple to send you and automatically install the (really really seldom) automatic security updates (its in apple/system preferences/apps. the way to set it up is found here:
    https://support.apple.com/ja-jp/HT204536

3 if you do want to detect and eliminate spam emails that do contain virus from your computer and even to make sure you don't forward those mail to other (windows) users, and, just for your own interest to see who or what is sending you email with virus, then it is good to use a really really low key and totally simple but effective app called ClamXav.
    you can use it at will, and update the virus definitions very easily. and set it up to not check email or anything so that it doesn't interfere with anything. i just use it every month or so to scan my entire disk if there are any files or emails that contain virus. every other month or so there is one or two. again, these don't affect my system, but these are files that do contain virus. its free of charge. but really good and well maintained.

welcome to mac.
    think different.

hth.

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Avoid any kind of antivirus software nor any "cleaning" apps. They will slow down your computer and will do very little. I think however, many people suggest installing something like MalwareBytes and scanning your computer once in awhile just to see if there aren't any malware on your computer.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

10. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Your only real problem is trojans from bogus email, and I've yet to experience one. Despite Apple's fairly good spam protection, some crap still gets through (Bill Gates' promise that spam would be eliminated by 2006 notwithstanding).

"Hello. I am you bank. Overdraft attach. Please to open."

"Is this YOU in attached movie star sex tape?"

et cetera.

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

No platform is immune, but by far the most common issues have to do with web browsing, and since that's what you expect to be doing most...

1) Pop-up web pages disguised as system warnings... "Your system is infected, call this toll-free number for support..." Dire warnings like, "Do not restart your system or browser." It's all BS. You may be unable to dismiss the warnings, but under nearly all circumstances a force-quit of your web browser will fix it (Apple menu > Force Quit, or Command-Option-Esc key combination). Then, hold the Shift key while you re-open your browser - that opens a fresh browser session and "forgets" the page it had previously been on.

2) Adware - browser plug-ins and extensions that muck up your browsing experience. You may see (far) more ads than usual, search attempts bring you to an unwanted search engine, an attempt to go to a support web site or anti-virus provider may take you to the "competition," maybe your home page has been changed... Download and run Malwarebytes for Mac https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/ This is run-when-you-need-it software, a fix-it tool for when you suspect a problem.

How do you get Adware? Downloading apps from the wrong source. Always obtain apps directly from the developer (or Mac App Store). Sometimes Adware is bundled in with an app you believe you need (ads for Mac cleaning and anti-virus apps are well worth avoiding). If you get a pop-up telling you, "To view videos on this site, download..." be leery. If the download is a well-known product like Adobe Flash, go to Adobe.com to download it, rather than trust the pop-up message to provide a safe download.

Keep up with your OS X software updates.

12. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

I think malware/adware is more serious than virus currently.

13. cycledance Suspended

never use anti virus on mac. pointless bs.

using macs since 93. never had a virus and i've been to the filthiest places online. even macrumors.

14. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

As I've said before, unless you frequent naughty sites, or the Dark Web, AV is useless. The only thing it'll do is slow down your Mac, and make the AV company that much richer.

15. JackDaniels3 macrumors member

I'm also interested about Internet security / Antivirus solution for OSX.
    On my PC I use Norton Internet Security and I'm wondering what is the best solution for Mac. I'm searching for reliable and stable complex solution, not only antivirus. I read that Norton Internet Security is resource hungry, so I guess I have to forget about it and use something else.
    We know that Mac doesn't need them, but nevertheless...

16. cycledance Suspended

nothing. forget about it. just get it out of your head.
    also throw away your pc. yes i am serious.

17. JackDaniels3 macrumors member

I would love to, but the problem is I do a lot of unsafe web browsing, so I need it. For a instance, my favorite russian torrent tracker put my NIS on alert daily and block some malware attempts. I just don't want to risk considering my unsafe web surfing. Not to mention sites that I visit using Tor browser.

18. cycledance Suspended

no such thing as unsafe browsing on mac.
    when u don't install a trojan you won't have a problem. and it's highly unlikely u will ever come across one.

19. j2048b macrumors 6502a

another thing to use is this site:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/

if i download anything i simply choose it and it scans it on my computer, maybe to late by then, but what the hey, why not?