First Mac arrived today, a few questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vick77, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

Hi, I've been reading these forums for a long time and my long awaited mbp arrived this morning however I have a few questions...

The first is regarding my airport express, I live in university halls and we're allowed to run a wireless network however it must be set as an access point and not a router ...apparantly my AE is configured as a router, does anybody know how I can change this to just being an access point? ...the airport express is connected via an ethernet port to a phone line.

Also I have a sony hdtv, and would like to use it as an external display, therefore I purchased the apple mini display port to dvi adapter, and am using a DVI to vga cable to connect to the tv ...however did anybody find that it is a very tight fit between the cable and the adaptor, it is almost impossible to fully fit them together and screw the cable into the adaptor. I'm not sure why this is as I'm convinced I have the right cable

Any help would be appreciated,
    thanks, vick

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

In many cases a wireless access point and a wireless router are essentially the same. Some define a router as an access point with a firewall but maybe I don't understand what your University is requiring of you. If they didn't explicity mention "No wireless routers" then you're probably ok to use the airport express as is since you can technically argue that the airport is a wireless access point.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

For answers to your AE question, here's an Apple knowledge base article - you probably want to look at "Bridge mode"

There are three types of DVI connections: DVI-Digital, DVI-Analog, and DVI-Integrated (Digital & Analog). You need to make sure your Apple adapter is compatible with the cable you're hooking up to your Sony. I think the Macs use DVI-I, but you should eyeball your connector against the diagram in this Wikipedia article