Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awluter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
My 20" imac is being delivered tomorrow. What are the most important things to do? Should I reinstall the OS...what settings should be changed...etc. Basically, what are the first things you do/change when you get a new mac? There may already be a thread addressing this (if so, please accept my apologies and point me in that direction; I could not find it). Thanks. Can't wait to become a mac user.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
first thing to do is call in sick because you are going to have so much ***** fun! enjoy.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I usually do a clean reinstall without installing all the languages and printer drivers I'm unlikely to use. Then the first thing I do is to get teh intraweb working for installing updates and then set up all email accounts.

Only then do I install apps, downloading and installing updaters for each one in turn.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
You won't have to reinstall the OS with a new mac. It doesn't come with all that crap that windows XP does.

Getting on the internet is a snap. Just plug in the ethernet before starting it the first time, and if you're on a wireless network, it'll most likely detect it easily. Sharing is not on by default, so you might have to turn on sharing in the Preferences pane if you plan to start moving files from a windows computer to the mac. Check out the macrumors networking guide under the 'Guides' tab.

EDIT: Oh yeah, of course if you're planning on being low on space, or if you only speak English, getting rid of extra languages and un-needed printer drivers will save you a good few gigs.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Open one of the iLife apps and start having fun?

Seriously, unless you want to save some hard drive space, you don't need to reinstall or delete anything.

The first things I do when I get a new computer, or have just reinstalled the OS (rare), is customize it to my liking... change what's in the Dock, get some fresh wallpapers, cool icons, etc. Check out Iconfactory.com, Pixelgirlpresents.com, Interfacelift.com, dlanham.com for some good stuff.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Simply enjoy yourself. A new mac is a stress-free, exciting experience. No need to reinstall the OS, she'll purr right out of the box. Internet will be a snap and it will walk you through the connection right away.

Cheers! Tom

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
first thing to do is call in sick because you are going to have so much ***** fun! enjoy.
Yeah do that if you can. I didn't and I really do regret it. There is sooooo much that I still don't know about my mac, I just don't have the time. But now that the holidays are over, i just might get the time.

Have fun with your imac. That is what I have and so far I just love it. I have had it for about 5 weeks now. I just wished I would have done it years ago.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
I usually go to Apple Menu > Software Update to get all the latest software and get that out of the way. Then I download my favorite apps and install them (Firefox, Thunderbird, Adium, Toast 7 etc.) Mostly though, just enjoy!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
iMacs have no batteries.
Don't bother with a fresh install (unless you're super-nerd status which many of us are).
Calling in sick is a bit overkill.
Do System Updates (there will be quite a bit to download).
Start transferring media data.

Do a dance.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I didn't think so, I first took it as a joke. It should have just stayed that way in my mind. Sorry, had a brain fart. Old age will do that to ya,.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
Yeah. I didn't calibrate the battery on my iMac, and it crashed three times in rapid succession. Let this be a warning to you.

I believe he was being sarcastic :p

Someone said you need to calibrate your battery when the original OP clearly said he was getting an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.