First Mac Conundrum

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by n mitchell, Mar 25, 2008.

1. n mitchell macrumors newbie

Anyway, I've been considering it since last December, and I've decided I want to get a Mac computer. I know I will be getting a notebook (I got a new HP desktop in September), and I am a student, so obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to (although I am estimating a maximum cost of $2000 to $2200). Even though I did read the Buying Guide, I just can't decide which to get.

I would be doing average tasks on the laptop (email, documents, iTunes, ect.), so I won't need the MB Pro specs (more like a MB's with 2GB RAM), but I really don't want a 13.3 inch screen. It's a silly thing, and I know they have great resolution, but when I tried them out in the store they felt too small. And from an aesthetic point of view, I prefer the MB Pro's and the MBA's aluminum look over the MB's plastic.

So would you recommend buying a MB Pro, getting a MB, or waiting a few months in case Apple comes out with a less expensive 15 inch (since I can wait until July or August)?

2. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

It's very unlikely that Apple will offer a cheaper 15 inch display laptop.

3. Appleduder macrumors newbie

Get a refurbished MBP. They have some pretty good deals and the 15'' LED screen is beautiful! :D

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The only inexpensive MBPs you're going to see are those in the refurbished section. If you'd prefer to pay less than full price for an MBP, either get one of those, or get an MB. In either case, I'd recommend a refurbished machine.

5. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Yup, I'd go for a previous generation MBP.

$1524 over at Amazon for a 2.2 GHz w/ 2G of ram.

or

$1544 over at MacMall for the same machine. And after Mail-in rebate you get parallels for free along with an epson stylus printer.

6. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

It might be worth pointing out that new Macs with a student discount are often cheaper than refurb Macs without the discount. The low-end MBP is great and I think retails for $2000 before student discount. Get one of those and it will last you years, if you look after it.

7. n mitchell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

I can't believe I forgot about the refurbished option!

I guess a follow-up question would be those of you who got used macs, are you happy with the quality? I'd assume there would be a few scratches.

On a slight tangent, I was wondering if anyone would mind posting some favorite features about macs (on the software side). I'd be the first one in my family to purchase a mac ( the rest are from HP), so they will be sceptical that I made a good purchase.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Or buy this as a refurb for $1449 + tax. Dang, for me, it would be $12 cheaper to get it from Amazon VS paying the tax on the one from Apple. Well, when Amazon sells out, you still have the Apple option...

And, do get the MBP over the MB!

9. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman