First Mac EVER & feel intimidated!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevethegimp, Aug 13, 2007.

1. stevethegimp macrumors newbie

I am a long time Microsoft user and had some friends convince me to make the switch. I just got my MBP today, and am trying to figure out what maintanence and setting type things I should do. I read at one time that the screens come with a yellowish tint to them, but can't find the forum on how to fix it.

In that same forum they suggested reinstalling the system and deleting ports and foreign languages to free up memory space. I've never done this and don't feel confident enough to try it on my own.

Any advice on what I should do now that I wouldn't think of, my Mac friends moved and I don't keep get connection with them.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Just start using it. If your screen doesn't look yellow, it probably isn't; you've got a clean system install, so don't bother reinstalling; until you run out of space on your hard drive, don't worry about deleting languages. Etc.

Use. Enjoy. Stop being intimidated ;-)

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I agree. Just get to it! I think switchers are frequently habituated to tweak their PC machines and maintain them. OS X requires very little tweaking in general. I would simply start getting familiar with the applications and the interface. As you know more and more about the system you be more and more comfortable making tweaks.

4. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

Yeah. What they said. ;)

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Just pick it up and play. or work. The problems, if any, will present themselves at a later date. This too shall pass.:)

6. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

what you need is a program called delocalizer, it will get rid of any extra languages and will free up some space. Its not terribly important that you even worry about that though, at most its a gig or 2.

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

good choice of computor and HAVE FUN WIT IT!!! u will learn 2 love it if u dn't already

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Check out the MacBook Pro Forums, and this MR Guide.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. If it's about OS X, post them in the Mac OS X Forum. Questions about your hardware should be in the MBP forum. Also, try searching for your topic before you post. Chances are good that someone has already asked the same question.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, we're kind of a big deal.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Don't delete anything until you know why it's there in the first place and if it connects to something else that you'll need later.

Take your time to look in preferences of each application and also, take a look at the System Preferences. That will save you from asking "why does my MBP talk to me every time I put the mouse pointer over something?"

There are lots of things that can happen but don't be intimidated. It's a computer, not a priceless statue.

11. 66217 Guest

That's a classic.:D

It is not just a computer, it is a Mac!!!;)

12. Riverrun macrumors regular

I switched five weeks ago after using M$ all my computing life and I'm no spring chicken; I just didn't want to migrate to Vista. Now, I'm wondering why it took me so long. I love :apple: I'm currently designing a web-site, a project that I've needed to do for sometime. The very thought of doing it in Windows gives me a headache. On the Mac, it's just drag 'n' drop, simple...well ok, I'm exaggerating, but It's a hell of a lot easier. So that's my story, from never having used a Mac to making my own Website in a few weeks.

13. Riverrun macrumors regular

BTW, don't forget to turn on the firewall. It's located in System Preferences, click on the blue apple at the top right hand corner of the screen. Go to Internet and Network > Sharing > Firewall and basically uncheck every box. Press the Advanced button and check all the boxes. It's turned off by default and I don't know why, seems wrong to me coming from a Windows background but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. i'm learning not to apply Windows logic to Mac, doesn't work.

I unchecked everything in the services section as well just to be on the safe side and turned off the Blue tooth function...lol, you can tell I'm an old Windows head. Anyhow, I'm still getting to grips with my Mac but enjoying it immensely.

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Don't try to fix things if you have no problems. Just start playing with it and enjoy. :) No anti-virus, no anti-spware needed. Don't go through the effort to delete or reinstall anything if you don't need more space.

15. Riverrun macrumors regular

Unchecking every box in the Firewall config area may renderP2P computing impossible, don't know as I never use those kind of programs anyway.

16. scamateur macrumors member

But don't let anyone tell you there's not a learning curve...

... to doing things a new way. It may or may not be easier to learn to do things on a Mac, but you've already learned it the other way! It can be frustrating if you see yourself as an experienced computer user and suddenly you can't figure out what the computer "expects" you to do.

(By the way, it IS "just" a computer. A very nice computer perhaps, but just a computer nonetheless. But don't tell anyone on the Mac forums! They're crazy about their Macs.)

Enjoy your new Mac!