Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshknightmare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I've noticed that my family is slowly but surely transitioning from Windows to Mac. We have iPhones, iPad, and just recently my older sister got a i3 MBP 13".
Im getting an iMac when the next refresh comes(March - May 2011) and I was wondering how you guys first handled a Mac and any tips i should know about OSX.
Im planning to get the top-of-the-line computer(right now would be the i7 27", but when the next refresh comes i'll be getting that one) so i wont have to make a refresh every couple years(hoping to keep it all the way through university and the rest of high school.
Im getting Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio for massive music videos(via Youtube, i.e. Pomplamoose, MysteryGuitarMan). So tips on those editting softwares will be great as well.
Thanks forum, never regretted making an account here. :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I dont want a huge walkthrough with so much information that you have to pay for it. Just some helpful tips here and there.

It's hard to help when you don't specify what you want. Using the two links posted above will help you when you have a specific question about something.

As for general tips, remember to backup regularly and keep it away from liquids.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I dont want a huge walkthrough with so much information that you have to pay for it. Just some helpful tips here and there.

When you buy FCS and LS, you also get access to manuals, which are also online at http://www.apple.com. These are very good resources.
As you don't really pinpoint what you know and what and how you want to edit (I certainly don't search YT for the users you alluded to), except the "massive" part, all I can say is, use as few effects as possible almost no transition effects.
And get yourself a book about editing and montage, not about how to use a certain kind of software or such, but how to visually tell a story.

Other than that I can only guess and that would take too much time, much more than you actually searching.

Joshknightmare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Toronto, Canada
When you buy FCS and LS, you also get access to manuals, which are also online at http://www.apple.com. These are very good resources.
As you don't really pinpoint what you know and what and how you want to edit (I certainly don't search YT for the users you alluded to), except the "massive" part, all I can say is, use as few effects as possible almost no transition effects.
And get yourself a book about editing and montage, not about how to use a certain kind of software or such, but how to visually tell a story.

Other than that I can only guess and that would take too much time, much more than you actually searching.

Many thanks sim!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.