First Mac - flash question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by moveright, Apr 18, 2012.

1. moveright macrumors member

Just picked up my first Mac, the MBA 13" 128MB. I have read that OSX ships without flash, and, I've also read that flash is, mostly antiquated at this point. Fair enough however, one website I visit constantly requires flash. Khan Academy requires the ability to display flash content. I installed flash and it works but I'm concerned with flash helping to drain my battery from old websites loaded, etc...

What can I do to break ties with flash yet still use this website?

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Install a flash blocker like ClicktoFlash, etc. for your browser(s)

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    the difference Flash Player makes to battery usage is precious little.

ClicktoFlash is an option - if one can be bothered

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Flash ads can tie up a lot of processing power when you're just reading online. It makes a pretty big difference in my opinion. Normally if Safari is using a large amount of CPU, it's because I have a page with Flash running.

A lot of people have commented on Flash causing their fans to run full blast (i.e. YouTube) vs HTML5 equivalents.

5. robopath macrumors regular

Agree with the other posters. Having flash on your computer will not harm your battery life. Using flash for video will crush your battery life.

6. digitalhen macrumors regular

7. moveright thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate all the feedback! I'm going to look into this flash blocker. Thanks!

8. lukekarts macrumors regular

It is an option, but for what it's worth, you could try Google Chrome. IMO it's a better browser than Safari, and it has Flash integrated into the browser. So you could uninstall flash from the MBA but it will still run in Chrome.

It's a different option, but if you're happy with Safari then Click2Flash would be a good option.