First Mac for UK Student.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallguy, Nov 5, 2011.

1. smallguy macrumors regular

Hi, Im interested in purchasing my first mac :), Probably used and would be a Macbook Pro 13inch.

Do you think this is a good Mac as im a student and as it will be my first ever mac.

Thanks

2. Mersailios macrumors regular

What sort of tasks are you looking to accomplish?

3. smallguy thread starter macrumors regular

Just general things really. iWork, Web browsing, CS5 possibly, Videos etc.

Thanks

4. Mersailios, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Mersailios macrumors regular

If that's the case, a 13-inch MacBook Pro will suit your needs quite well.

Have you considered looking at the Apple Online Store for a refurbished computer? It's a great way to save some money not to mention you get a computer that's in excellent condition and has been fully inspected and comes with a 1 year AppleCare warranty.

Here's the link to the Apple Online Store showing refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pros: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Also take a look at the Apple Education store online.

6. tbear1 macrumors regular

It sounds kind of silly, but buy the newest one you can. The do get better with each release. There are a lot of people that weren't happy that they moved to the Intel integrated graphics with the recent switch to the Sandy Bridge micro-architecture. But I have not heard a lot of complaints from actual users.

Glenn

7. smallguy thread starter macrumors regular

I live in the UK so i couldnt really buy off the US Refurb store. You dont get a student discount on apple refurbished computers do you?

8. szolr macrumors 6502

The 13 inch Macbook Pro will be a great starting point into the world of Apple/Macs. For all but solid video editing in Final Cut or Premiere you should be fine. :cool:

However, if you are a big gamer do consider either the base end iMac of a 15 inch Macbook Pro-better graphics for games.

And by the way the student discount's 15 % so make sure you get it! ;)

9. tranceformav2 macrumors newbie

Not 100% sure on this but you do get 10% discount online and in store. You're best off visiting your nearest Apple store to try a few machines out. I have the 2011 MacBook Pro but I am very keen to get a 13" Air instead.. Depends on your budget and needs really :)

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Afraid not. It's either one or the other.

11. smallguy thread starter macrumors regular

I dont mind spending around £600 for a used macbook pro 13inch etc. As i would get around £200 for my laptop at the moment.

12. szolr macrumors 6502

10 %? I got 12 % when I was at school... 15 % on my Macbook Pro coming to uni. Make sure the person who sells it to you checks the discount with the store manager if unsure. On a £999 laptop 1 % is £10. ;)

13. smallguy thread starter macrumors regular

I really like the macbook air aswell but personally the no drive situation is a real downside of the laptop. I know you cant have slimness and everything else but it will be awkward probably for programs etc.

And.... Its only 11.6" base model where as the macbook pro is 13"

14. tranceformav2 macrumors newbie

Yes but you can get an external DVD Superdrive for £66.00. I wouldn't get the 11" model either cos it's smaller and has 100mb less video memory. I'm gonna go for the £1099 model then bundle a super drive.

15. smallguy thread starter macrumors regular

Yh but its all add ons...

16. szolr macrumors 6502

The 11.6 Air has the same resolution as a 13 inch Pro. It's also cheaper. It also has an SSD. BUT... it's got less battery life and 64 GB space. The 13 Pro now has 500 GB. Me, I need at least 220 GB just for iTunes stuff. If I were to install X plane I'd need another 120 GB +. Think seriously about space.

I thought no superdrive on an Air was a big downside. But since I got a Pro I've not used the Superdrive once. It could be faulty and I'd not know. lol

17. smallguy thread starter macrumors regular

18. tranceformav2 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't get a refurbished Air. The specs are pretty woeful compared to the new model.

And they don't have a backlit keyboard.

19. d0nK macrumors 6502

Fixed.
    I know UK Macs are ridiculously overpriced compared to buying one in the US but import tax and shipping costs from the US may still plug the difference. Regardless, buy from the UK if you live in the UK.

20. molala macrumors 6502a

21. iStudentUK, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You don't even have to buy AppleCare necessarily. See the link in my sig.

OP, due to ~14% off and a free 3 year warranty it often works out best for UK students to buy new. You don't get that on refurbs.