First Mac Imac or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lewb, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Lewb macrumors member

Hello, Getting a first mac but cant decide on the MacBook Pro or the Imac, was going to go for the MacBook Pro as i already have a Desktop PC which plays pretty much all games on highest settings but then i saw the Imac spec is quite a bit better for the same price so now i cant decide would just be using for the usual stuff an maybe the odd bit of World of Warcraft Which would you guys recommend going for for a first Mac?

Heres the specs of the ones i would be going for:

MacBook Pro
    13-inch: 2.3 GHz
    2.3GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz
    320GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)

Imac
    21.5-inch: 2.5GHz
    2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    1920 x 1080 resolution
    4GB (two 2GB) memory
    500GB hard drive1
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

Thanks for your input!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The MBP will be fine for you. Portability is always welcome and especially if you already have a decent desktop PC, it doesn't make much sense to buy an iMac. Besides, the specs don't matter unless you do something intensive.

3. Nevarlan, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

Nevarlan macrumors newbie

If it's just for school/work without gaming, then Macbook.

If it's to enjoy multimedia, surf the web and simple stuff at home, get a Mac mini. And get the one with AMD graphics if you use it as a media center as well.

If it's for gaming, I recommend the iMac, because Macbooks tend to get hot and the fans go crazy :eek:. And don't forget to install smcFanControl and speed up your fans a little to keep your machine cool while gaming.

4. Lewb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help, Would the MacBook Pro be fine for some light world of warcraft?

5. Nevarlan macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook late 2008 (unibody), 2.66GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, and NVIDIA 9400M 256MB.

My experience with WoW: You can play it, but it soon gets very loud (when the fans kick in) and the temperature is constantly very high. I don't recommend it, though I don't know how it is with newer generations.

Edit: There are no problems with my iMac (2007) playing WoW. The fans don't kick in if you adjust them a little with smcFanControl.