First Mac (kind of)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hell0W0rld, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Hell0W0rld macrumors regular

Hello all, maybe someone can help me.

At the moment I am thinking about buying my first real mac for christmas.
    My Situation is the following:
    I am a student and have two hackintoshs, they work fine, except for the updating part...

I already read through some of the threads here and now I am a little concerned about future macs.

My original Plan was to buy a macbook pro 13" next year in summer when lion comes, but now I read about Sandy bridge, maybe no nvidia graphics/instead ati in the better pros and the possibility of flash-hd only.
    The thing is I don't want an ati-graphics-macbook I hate ati, every pc with ati-graphics I owned, crashed, the ones with nvidia are still running.
    I could go on with my concerns about sandy bridge(I don't really think integrated graphics can are such good idea.), the flash-hd(too expensive), but I am just going to ask two questions:

If I am going to buy a macbook pro 13" now, how possible will it be to upgrade to lion?

During some of my courses I will have to work with some Adobe-Products (Premiere, Photoshop,Soundbooth).
    Can I hook my 20"-external-DVI-screen onto the macbook pro, and work there with those products?

P.S.: I am from Germany so please excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes.

2. simsaladimbamba

Very possible, as 2006 Macs could be upgraded to a Mac OS X version from 2009 (Snow Leopard) and 2003 Macs could be updated to Leopard (2007).

Yes. For the Adobe software you may need to acquire a license transfer from Windows to Mac OS X maybe.
    For the monitor you need the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

Look at Gravis or CyberPort for cheaper Macs, Gravis even has its own three year warranty for less than 100€ and it saved me the cost of a Logic Board Replacement once.

CyberPort has stores in Berlin and in Dresden, but also has an online shop like Gravis (which has a lot more stores, at least in the part with 50 new districts).

3. Hell0W0rld thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to hear.

Did I say something about a windows licence?

I looked on their websites, but I think I will order it directly from apple with my student discount.

I know of a project in Switzerland and a similar one in Austria with even more discount(Macbook Pro 13" for 942€) ...I could ask a friend to order one there, but this is only at the beginning of the semesters, how are the chances that apple will not change their macbooks til end april . I know, no one really knows, but what do say the rumors?

4. simsaladimbamba

Nö. I just assumed (making .... ) that you may have PS, PR and SB for your Windows computers, but as you have Hackintoshes, that may not be the case. As they say in Mainz: Spundekäse, but without the napkin, unless you pay extra.