first mac, light video editing, which one to choose?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eagerapple, Sep 9, 2009.

1. eagerapple macrumors newbie

I'm picking out my first mac. I want an all-purpose computer that will have the capacity for light to medium video editing (standard def). I was looking at the base model 20" imac. Would this be sufficient? I'm switching from a very old PC so I'm sure any of the current mac machines would really wow me with their performance. I don't need a monster machine. I don't do any gaming. Also I'm a student so I can get the edu discount.

I'm also interested in the refurb imacs. Apple has had a lot of refurbs with ATI graphics cards lately, such as the ATI Radeon Pro or something like that. those cards have dedicated graphics memory as opposed to the current NVIDIAs in the 20" imacs. but those ATI cards are older cards, I'm guessing. So my question is, is an older ATI card with dedicated graphics memory better or worse than a new NVIDIA with shared graphics memory?

I'm not really opposed to getting a new or refurbished 24" imac, the one that's the step up from the 20", but I couldn't go any more expensive than that. but 20" of screen space is more than enough for me.

Sorry, lots of random thoughts here, but after months of waiting I'm finally getting a mac and I'm very excited! I want to get the best one for my budget but I don't want to be thrifty. I want a machine that will perform well and last 4-5 years.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I've edited high definition video on my 20" iMac. They perform really well. As long as you're not working with any crazy pro formats or working with complicated effects layering, the iMac will do everything you need it to.

I bought mine refurbished. I find that buying refurbished not only saves money - it better ensures that the computer you receive is not problematic. Refurbished machines go through a much more stringent evaluation process before they are finally sold. The chances of getting a lemon refurbished machine are much lower than that of a brand new machine. They also come with the same warranty, so there's really nothing to lose.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Honestly, any Mac being made right now is more than capable of "light" video editing. From the base model Mini to the Mac Pro, all of them will do just fine.

4. eagerapple thread starter macrumors newbie

thank very much for the advice. Based on what I've seen on these forums it seems like bad experiences with refurb machines are few and far between. I'll be watching the refurb section closely today...

5. eagerapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I went with a refurbished current generation 20" imac. Knock on wood, I love it so far! I was concerned about the display vs. the 24" display, but I think it's fantastic. If I was doing heavy photo editing I'd probably notice the difference but for day to day use I love it. Great machine.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Congrats man. That's a nice machine. Same one I own.