First Mac: Macbook or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ms960, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ms960 macrumors newbie

Thinking of sticking my toes in the Mac water and am trying to decide between a Macbook or MBP. Uses will be nothing fancy, mostly web, documents, etc. I have a lot invested in the Windows versions of Photoshop & Lightroom, so they'll stay on my Win platforms.

Just was curious what would make the most sense for someone to get a taste of Macs without spending a fortune. Who knows, I may not like them :). I can obviously get a Macbook much cheaperso that's what I'm thinking in terms of kicking the tires. Any reason, though, to go to a MBP instead? Thanks!

2. Contiguous macrumors member

Well, the Macbooks were just discontinued last week, so there's that. Personally, if you're not sure, I would check out the refurbished models on the Apple Store website; they come with a full year warranty and are cheaper than the new ones.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. ms960 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why do you say that? Can you support why it's an easy choice for you?

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Adobe will allow to swap the PC version of photoshop for tgemac version (there maybe a small admin charge). Lightroom comes with mac and PC versions on the cd.

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I'm not drunk, just posting from a wobbly train on the iPhone

7. ms960 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would a Core 2 Duo Macbook be good enough for daily use? If I do really like it, and since it looks like my version of Lightroom can installed on MacOS, i could see using it for photographs, but my main use will be just email, web, documents, etc.

Or would I eventually be disappointed with the MB and wish I had spent a little more on the MBP? I'm sooo confused :).

8. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

The macbook is great for anyone who just uses a computer.

You can still pick one up at a local university or college for $899

Now the macbook pro is your choice, especially if you want a larger screen. The 13in macbook pro's are not really pro's they do not have a GT processor, before the macbook and 13in pro were matched, except by the way they look and like 2 more GB of RAM. So the 13in pro is still a viable choice over the macbook, since the macbook has not been updated, the 13in pro is a better choice since it has modern day specs, and can really run.

The macbook air is perfect for simple users, to simple gamers, to anyone who wants things done REALLY fast. It is the quickest macbook. But do not expect it to run things on high settings or really push when you need it. I would recommend the air for you, it is phenomenal.

If you want raw power of the gods that unless you do anything that requires a lot of power you will probably never use, you get the 15 or 17in pro, and enjoy ruling the net!

9. akhbhaat macrumors regular

The Macbook is obsolete and has been discontinued. You can only get it in the Apple refurb store, and it's a very poor value at their $850 price, given that you're buying relatively slow/stripped down hardware in a used machine (new warranty, granted) for only $150 less than a brand new 11" Air (or $170 less than a refurbed 2011 MBP), which outperforms it comfortably in just about every metric except raw storage capacity. Yes, the Core 2 Duo will be more than adequate for current daily use, though the rest of the machine is equally underwhelming: only 2 GB of standard RAM (though cheap enough to upgrade, I suppose) and a very slow 250 GB hard drive.

At this point, the only reason to even consider the white Macbook is if you really like white plastic and really hate aluminum. Some people base their purchase decision largely or entirely on things like that; I'm not one to judge (usually ;) ).

Since you're just looking to get your feet wet, I'd suggest the new 11" Air. It will offer a very unique experience relative to your Windows boxes and even the larger MBP. If the 11" screen isn't suitable or the 64 GB SSD isn't going to work for you, get a refurbished 2011 MBP.

10. ms960 thread starter macrumors newbie

All very good points and, I think, a good reason to skip the Macbook. Darn, the main reason I was considering it was because it WAS cheaper (in price). But you're right, if I'm going to spend the money, don't get yesterday's technology.

I'm really interested in a 13" screen, but what can a MBP do that a MB Air can't, if anything? I know the storage space is limited. And, arent' the CPU's on the Air's Core 2 Duo as well?

11. akhbhaat macrumors regular

The MBP is more powerful than the Air, and it has more ports and an optical drive. You can also upgrade/replace the RAM and hard drive at your discretion, which isn't possible with the Air. Of course, the MBP is also somewhat larger and heavier (though still a pretty slim and lightweight machine in my opinion). The Air does come with SSD storage, but (as you know) at the price of capacity.

The Air just got a refresh and has Core i5 and i7 processors now. They're underclocked relative to the processor in the 13" MBP and aren't as fast under real world conditions, but they are a lot faster than the old Core 2 Duo.

12. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I do the same activities you mention on a late 2008 MacBook (2.4G Core2Duo) and it is perfectly fine. It doesn't seem much slower than the current i5 offerings for that sort of thing.

Let me put it another way: You can buy from Craigslist/Kijiji a used 2008/2009 13" MacBook with Core2Duo and 4GB RAM for $600-700, and it will probably even have AppleCare remaining. A new 13" MacBook Air will be over double that. I have had both in my hands and I personally don't feel it is worth the difference, especially if you think you will use an optical drive and more than 128GB of storage.

13. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

The MacBook Air is the new consumer line laptop. The first two gens were mehh...(esp. gen 1) but with Sandy Bridge on them now I think they are rather good laptops that aren't that expensive considering the first gen was sold for almost $3000 and my grandpa had more power than it did.

For your needs, the MacBook Air 13" sounds just fine...however if you ever need to use Photoshop on it, that would worry me a bit....

14. ms960 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your insight. That helps put things in perspective a bit. Being my first Mac I'm hesitant to go full bore. I know if I do like it and want to upgrade at a later point, I can most likely sell it for a good price (especially if it is still under warranty/Apple Care).

The white plastic body doesn't bother you, or do you find it annoying after awhile?

Appreciate the help everyone!

15. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I agree, and the regular MB is a good computer by itself

16. winston1236 macrumors 68000

i have a 2.4 ghz w/ 4gb ram that i run the adobe master suite as well as cinema 4d on. its gets the job done decently without lag until i get back to my mac pro

17. ms960 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the best way to buy a regular MB, if that's what I decide to get? Reconditioned (almost as much as a MBP)? Used (which will save me some money)? Used with remaining warranty/Apple Care? What's the minimum specs I should be looking for? Anything to watch out for?