First Mac, MB or MBP 15" - need opinions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SchoolDaze, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SchoolDaze macrumors newbie

Right now, I prefer the white MacBook's polycarbonate shell to the aluminum MacBook Pro. It just feels better to me. But I love the 15" MacBook Pro's higher screen resolution(the default 1440x900, not the higher one) and (much)louder speakers and edge to edge glass display.

Is there any difference in the display quality between the two? Color reproduction, better viewing angles, ect.

What's the real world battery life on the white MacBook(2010 unibody) and the MacBook Pro 15"(i5@2.4,4gb ram, 320 hdd), as far as what you guys seem to get and the settings your using.

Is there anywhere that shows a side by side comparison of the twos wireless signal strength/range. I've read the white MacBooks get slightly better range as it's shell is plastic and not aluminum but that the MBP gets around this mostly from having the antenna at the rear were the plastic hinge is.

Will the 320M(in the basic MacBook) be able to use GPU acceleration on the future versions of Firefox and Google Chrome?

I need a white 15" polycarb. :mad:

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in wireless signal between the Macbook Pro and Macbook, or at least I haven't when comparing my Macbook from work and my own Macbook Pro.

A lot of people claim that the Macbook Pro has a higher quality screen than the Macbook, but I don't think it's official from Apple. Plus you do get the better resolution on the Macbook Pro, so that along with possibly better image quality, you end up with a bit better display.

I'm not sure if the Macbook's 320m would be supported for hardware acceleration on not because it's an integrated card, but it may very well be. On the other hand the Macbook Pro's 330m will be.

I think you should just purchase the Macbook Pro 15", it'd provide better for you than the Macbook, but if you really want the Macbook then go for it.

3. Perdification macrumors regular

I'd recommend you to get the 15'. At least it has the newest 2010 architecture, a core i5. The MB is still a useless C2D. What are you going to use it for? It'd be helpful to tell us.

4. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

If you can wait a month or so, possible update soon. Go get a refurb and save some more bucks, nothing wrong with them.

Ive owned a 07 macbook and a unibody macbook pro 15, didn't really see a difference

5. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Plus having your router only do N instead of B/G/N really really speeds it up, no joke just found out.

6. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I have a 13" mid 2010 MBP and I had used a friend of mine's MB late '09 just a month before the 2010 MBP come out. At first I thought the MB screen was very bright, but that was untill I realized the bright indicator was all the way up.

I think my MBP has a way brighter display than my friend's.

So as far as screens are concerned, I'd go for the 15" MBP (I'd get that if I could afford it).

Cheers.

7. SchoolDaze thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any documentation on nvidia and mozilla for GPUs that will be supported? How about for the latest versions of Flash Player? Lol nevermind, looks like none of them support flash.http://www.nvidia.com/object/gpus_supporting_adobeflash.html

:confused: Nevermind I found this about 10.1/Gala
    http://www.cultofmac.com/why-you-should-install-adobes-flash-10-1-gala-preview/40718

What's really the difference beside it being new? I know it's suppose to automatically speed up the CPU if needed but that would drain battery life right? I have a C2D in my current laptop and it works ok. I'd be using it for watching streaming media like hulu, youtube, possibly netflix and some heavy web browsing.

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

MacBook $799 @ Microcenter

The current white MacBook is on sale at Microcenter for $799

Much cheaper than the $949 student discount.

MacBook 13.3" MC516LL/A Laptop Computer

* Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor 2.4GHz
    * 2GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM
    * 250GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
    * 13.3" Widescreen Display
    * SuperDrive Double Layer 8x DVD±RW Drive
    * NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    * 10/100/1000 Network
    * AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wireless Network
    * Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    * Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

This might mean there will be updates next week but I'm not sure what they would update the MacBook specs to... unless they also update the MacBook Pro

9. Perdification macrumors regular

Judging by what you said, a C2D would work just fine, since you're not doing any FCP. There is also an option to future proof your new macbook/pro, so do consider the 15' too.

10. Perdification macrumors regular

Do you really expect them to update the MB next week? According to buyer's guide, its lifespan isn't up yet, but the MBPs are up for an update.

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Never know with Apple..

It could be financial balance sheet stuff...

Or it could be unifying the low end MacBooks into something aluminum and without a disc drive. The MacBook is the only plastic Mac left...

Put a MacBook in a smaller case minus a disc drive and make it out of recyclable metal? Smaller non expandable ssd and sell for $999 and $1299 and they might have another hit.

12. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? Of course it is a weaker processor, I recommend the OP to go with the 15 inch, but the C2D is FAR from being useless. Hell, some laptops still come with single core Pentiums, and they are very well usable.