First Mac, MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ja Di ksw, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi everyone. My friend is about to buy his first mac. He spent the last decade being a die-hard windows fan, but his windows machine finally died. Hard. And he needs a new one right away. Unfortunately he wants a MBP, and they're about to be updated (or so says the buyers guide). So, does it look like the next update will be a major one (new type of processor or something) or just a little speed bump? I'd feel bad if he finally switched after all these years and a better one came out the week after... :(

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If he needs a new machine now, the current models are plenty powerful enough, and will last a long time. The difference in everyday use between the current models and the next gen ones will likely be almost zero, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it if he really needs a new machine.

3. simsaladimbamba

Better CPUs (Sandy Bridge) and GPUs are to be expected, but not anytime soon, maybe in March/April.
    Maybe take a look at any of the dozens of threads discussing the 2011 MBP updates.

Btw:
    NEED NOW = BUY NOW.
    NO NEED NOW = WAIT.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If he needs one now there's no sense in waiting. The next update might be new processors, but they've been delayed. Also, depending on usage, new processors may or may not make a difference.

5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thanks for the replies everyone :). He needs it for his job (camera / video work), so unless the upgrade was going to be a big one he needs to get it now. I let him know.

6. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Just buy it now. Who knows when the new MBP will be released with the whole Intel fiasco.

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

He has ordered the 17"! This makes me happy, there's been the whole Windows vs. Apple debate between us for almost 12 years now and he finally switched over. Guess he got sick of everything always breaking and not working while I've only had 1 computer break in that time (a 6 year old laptop).

8. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

9. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Tell your friend, Congrats on his purchase. Once you go Mac, you never go back!