First Mac Purchase Help Please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by srinaths, Nov 15, 2011.

1. srinaths macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm planning to get a Mac, but I'm unable to choose right model for my needs. My main purpose of getting Mac is to replace existing PC (Sony laptop) and to run Windows apps using Parallels for Mac.

I heard that Apple introduced new processors on last month in MacBook Pro line. Is this right time to buy MacBook Pro 15" with the following specification? 256GB SSD, High-end screen resolution etc.

Is MacBook Air capable of running Parallels? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

Macbook Air, you cannot upgrade RAM or HD.

MBP, you can upgrade the RAM and HD.

Both will work fine, you'll get a little more bang for your buck with the MBP.

15" w/ SSD, upgrade the ram to 8GB (buy aftermarket only) and you will have a sick sick machine!

3. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Buy the SSD aftermarket, too. It's cheaper and you get to keep your 750GB and put in in an Optibay and use it.

4. srinaths thread starter macrumors newbie

5. warvanov macrumors 6502a

What sort of applications are you planning on running?

The MBP will be better suited to perform any sort of processor intensive tasks. The MBA will most likely suffice but it will be a trade-off for the decreased size and weight.

Basically, it's up to you whether you value performance (MBP) or form factor and portability (MBA).

Another thing to consider is the MBA doesn't have an optical drive, which might make it more difficult to install Windows. It also has a smaller hard drive, and with two operating systems taking up space you might start to feel the crunch.