First mac purchase this weekend!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreenStripe, Feb 22, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

So I'm making my first ever mac purchase this Saturday! After four years of window shopping I'm finally taking the plunge and I'm pretty excited, but I have a couple of questions..

I'm going to get the base level macbook pro and I kind of want to postpone getting applecare for a couple of months. Is there any difference between getting applecare with the purchase of the computer and getting it a couple of months later?

Also, as a lifetime pc user, I know pretty much nothing about how to use the mac os and the hardware... Is there any site with tons of tutorials so that I'll be prepared for my mac? Also, I heard macbook pros have built in bluetooth so does that mean I could use a bluetooth headset as a microphone?

I know the last questions aren't purchase related, but the first one definitely is!

Haha, thanks :D

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

AppleCare can be purchased any time in the first year (during the standard warranty). The complimentary phone support is only 90 days without AppleCare, so if you think you will want this, you may want to get it early. NOTE: This phone support limit is only for the "I need help setting up, let me call the manufacturer" incidents. "Hi, I need an RMA" calls are always free.

Apple has a whole section of their site dedicated to people like you:

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

3. As far as I know, Yes

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) No theres no problem postponing your Applecare purchase, thats the correct thing to do actually, you have 12 months to buy it from first purchasing your machine. You should try to get it on Ebay for 50% to 80% cheaper than Apple sell it in about 11 months time.

2) Yes you can use the built in bluetooth to do anything, microphone, wireless keyboard, connection to phone etc. Its just normal bluetooth same as on a PC...

4. JonMcDonald macrumors member

1. There is no difference. You have until the original warranty expires to choose if you'd like to purchase Apple Care.

2. I've learned almost everything from apple.com when I made the original switch (and I didn't need too, either). You'll pick up on how OS X works within a couple days, and within a couple more days you'll wonder how you ever survived on a PC. Not sure about the blue tooth thing, but I think it may work.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Just keep in mind though, when you are using the bluetooth, battery drains really quickly. :D

Congrats on making the switch. I made the switch 6 months ago, and it was pretty much the best computing decision I have made...I love it. And as for the AppleCare, I am waiting to purchase it, hopefully I don't forget to buy it before October :rolleyes:.

6. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all teh answers!

One last question, can you purchase a macbook pro in the apple store by check or is it credit card only?

Thanks!

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Certified Cheques Yes, so you'll need a guarantee card or bankers draft form :)

8. EB66 macrumors 6502

did you get the macbook pro? how do you like it?

as for learning how to use it there is tons of information in these forums about that to be had so have fun reading!

9. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting it in 4 days :D

I am pretty excited, and i'm having fun getting ready for the switch :D

10. EB66 macrumors 6502

im pretty sure the part where you are getting ready for the switch and installing all of the programs on you laptop the way you like it is the best part! have fun!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

In the US, personal checks are fine as long as the person buying it has the normal I.D. required anywhere else.

13. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

I thought I should post a little update. I got my macbook pro yesterday and am absolutely loving it. It's like every little situation has been thought of and made pleasant, it's really just... great!

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Glad to see another happy soul :D