First Mac Purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bmstrong, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

I know it sounds strange in this day and age but I don't have a computer. (I've always used my local library.) I'm looking for a first Mac.

I'd like a laptop. I'm not completely sold on the new prices and hardware. I don't care if it's a couple years old. I don't play games. I need a place to park my iPhone, run email and the web. I'd like to keep it for a year or two.

What do you guys recommend? Where is the best place to purchase from?

2. esphil macrumors member

Welcome to the forum. The best place I'd recommend checking out for value wise is the refurb store.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../RSLID?sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&nclm=CertifiedMac

They are just like new and have no signs of ware or use, they are all checked by hand by workers.

MUCH cheaper, the question is do you need alot of power. screen size?

I'd recommend getting a macbook pro for a laptop or a imac for a desktop.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Mac. As you say you are not too fussed about having the latest/newest technology, etc, I'd recommend that you go for a MBP refurb. This means a computer that has been tested and tried by Apple, has the Apple warranty, has a terrific screen, attractive aesthetics, is powerful, comes with a generous discount, and will quite likely last you several years.
    Cheers and good luck

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

go with a refirb the cheapest one you can find will work.