First Mac! Stuck!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kdm0505, Jul 5, 2014.

1. kdm0505 macrumors member

Well I'm debating on purchasing my first mac.

My current setup includes a Samsung Ativ Book 8 w/ an SSD that is hooked up to an external monitor. I really like this laptop and believe it to be on par with the Macbook Pro (as much as a PC can be). I like Windows 8.1 and the versatility of having a dual monitor setup and being able to bring my laptop out on the road.

However, I am seeking a device that can bring me into the world of Mac. I would find it convenient if I could leave my laptop connected to the external monitor for a majority of the time. I often find it to be a hassle disconnecting the VGA cable and power supply every time I want browse the web on my couch.

I think the Macbook Air would be a great addition. It would give me the ability to experience both operating systems without limiting performance. I am not a fan of tablets but feel that this setup would give me a lot of versatility.

Any advice on my first Mac would be helpful, thanks!

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That advice would depend a lot on what specifically you're planning to do with that 'Mac', and of course on your budget. Is there something you're expecting from that Mac, that your current laptop does not give you, or can not do?

If you could help us out with those three questions, you will get some specific responses and suggestions for sure.

3. kdm0505 thread starter macrumors member

Basic tasks include browsing web, light work, light media. I don't game or edit video's, would like to keep purchase under $1000.

My laptop can do everything that I need it to do. I consider this potential purchase a luxury and allow me to gain experience and an opinion on a mac. So when it comes time to sell my current laptop I can see if I want to go mac or PC. I also lean to a MBA over a Chromebook because of the value retention of the product.

I also look at the future value retention of my current laptop. In the past my laptops have wound up with broken screen, dropped, scratches just from general use. If it is able to stay in place and use it primarily as a desktop it will keep in good condition that will allow me to sell it for a higher value or be able to keep the device for a longer period of time. And the MBA almost acts as a hedge against that, while its an initial purchase it may save me money in the long run.

Maybe I'm just BS'ing my self, thats why I'm asking the experts! :)

4. macs4nw, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Based upon all that, I'd definitely agree an Air is your best bet, and I would urge you to check out the refurb store where good deals can be had.

No shiny new box, but equipment that's refurbished and thoroughly tested, and quite often indistinguishable from new, with the same warranty as new, as well as the option to purchase AppleCare. And if for some reason you'd find Macs weren't your cup of tea, a quick scan of the usual used equipment places will convince you Apple laptops keep their value better than the industry average, so you'd have little to lose.

As far as size is concerned, that would be your personal preference, but keep in mind that for a $100 premium (or as low as about $80 more, in the refurb store), the 13" MBA aside from the larger screen, also gives you the SDXC card slot, as well as about 30% better battery life, than a comparably equipped 11" MBA. Best of Luck!

5. kdm0505 thread starter macrumors member

Just bought 2013 13.3" Macbook Air for $799 pre-tax from the refurbished store! Looks like their were only minor improvements with the 2014 model and ill take the $200 in savings.

Here are the specs:

Originally released June 2013
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB memory
    128GB flash storage1
    720p FaceTime HD camera
    Intel HD Graphics 5000

Thank you!

6. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

7. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

When will people learn that when you ask macrumors for ADVICE on what to buy, please tell us your NEEDS?

8. kdm0505 thread starter macrumors member

probably never, c'mon I'm a newbie. I would imagine that this section of the forum is for people who are new to mac and don't know the etiquette

BTW they shipped me the refurb with 8gb of RAM! what a steal

----------

thank you, I'm loving it. Once I get adjusted good and spend a little more time with my MBA theres a good chance I sell my laptop that I'm basically using as desktop and go straight MBA!