First Mac! Which MBP with Which Specs for Logic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philosoraptor, May 28, 2010.

1. philosoraptor macrumors newbie

Hi! I am a musician and want to get into recording. Fellow music friends have convinced me Logic is the way to go, so after over 15 years of windows, I am purchasing my first mac!
    While this is exciting, I do not know which one to get. I have read the many MBP 13 vs 15 threads but have found nothing for how the spec differences will affect music recording using logic. I have heard that screen size makes a huge difference, but I am also a traveling student and this will most likely be my primary laptop for school, work, etc. T

That said, I am willing to drop some serious cash if a case can be made that upgrades, new processor, etc are really worth it. So basically, which MBP is the best bang for your buck regarding logic? Also, would it be worth it to upgrade to SSD? I understand using a 7200RPM external firewire drive is ideal and I will invest in this for backup, but perhaps a SSD for current projects would be good?

I'm open to all models (even the 17") but just don't know if it will be worth it for Logic. Is screen size that important in Logic? Will the new processors drastically boost performance and make the MBP hold its dollar value longer? Help!

Right now, this is what I'm leaning towards:

13" MBP 2.4Ghz C2D
    4GB Ram
    128GB SSD
    $1480 Canadian (minus "free ipod touch" if I sell it) = $1280 CD

Additionally, I would buy a cheap external monitor and large external 7200RPM firewire drive.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get 2.4GHz 15" with hi res screen. The extra CPU power is useful in Logic and RAM and SSD you can add later on

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yes... I agree~

If you don't mine the size of 17" it will be much better, because hi res screen upgrade is quite expensive~ Personally I don't think is worth that much money, so go for 17-inch

PS: either 15" or 17" will be all good

4. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I personally like the 15", so I'd say Core i7, 15", with the hi-res sceen and matte finish (personal opinion of course), 500gb 7200rpm drive. Install an Intel SSD if you can and buy an external FireWire 800 drive for your samples.