First mac - which one and best price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j-rad, Nov 10, 2015.

1. j-rad macrumors newbie

Thinking about getting my first mac (not including ipad) and curious what would be best for me. I mainly want it for photo editing (Adobe Lightroom) and maybe some gaming (nothing too intensive). Internet browsing/video watching/etc I'll continue to do on my ipad.

I was thinking about getting the 13'' macbook pro w/retina display, which I see at B&H for $1,179 or maybe slightly cheaper if i get a 10% movers coupon for Best Buy and use my wife's education discount (teacher). Looks like it's $1,235 at Best Buy currently - do they just match the price on Apple's site for education discount ($1,199), or a certain $ off?

Do I need this new of a laptop for my needs, or can I get an older version? I'd really like the retina display as it'll be great for photo editing, but do I have any other options that are considerably cheaper?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Best to buy new or refurb if you can afford it, especially so you can get AppleCare on it.

Some may say that the rMBP might be overkill for your needs, but when you're spending that much money, it's important to consider longevity. IMO I think you're making the right choice.

With education purchases (at least higher education in the UK), you get free 3-year hardware warranty with the machines anyway, which is essentially AppleCare without the telephone support. So may be best to call Apple and query this. If you do get that, it'll be best to buy through Apple, so you don't have to spend extra getting the AppleCare.

3. NikeSG macrumors member

13" macbook pro w/Retina is absolutely your best option given your needs/usage.

I personally am on the 13" macbook air with 512gb storage, 8gb memory w/1.7ghz dual core for music production, and it screams.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, but whatever you get, make sure you're equipped with internal SSD.

Edit: Also wanted to mention I've been holding off on jumping to RMBP for Skylake (am also hopeful for dramatic redesign / price drops on storage/memory / anything worth waiting for). I'd imagine a nice update coming at the top of 2016 - just a couple months away.

4. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

13 rMBP is about the best bang for your buck and flexible Mac out there. If you're just looking for a 2nd portable system, and mobility is important, the MacBook or MacBook Air lines are great. If you're looking for a main system, and will be spending a significant amount of time doing really resource intensive stuff, the 15" rMBP is your machine. But if you're somewhere between ultra-portability and extreme power, the 13" rMBP is a great all-around solution.

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

As others have said, the 13" rMBP is your best bet. It's pretty powerful, and not that expensive. I would say avoid the 13" MBA for what you're doing, as it's much less performant (it's good, but nowhere near the MBP) and there's no Retina display.

6. j-rad thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the best price currently on the 13'' rMBP? B&H deal, or how does BB's pricing work with a teacher's discount?