First Mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davetrostle, Jun 14, 2007.

1. davetrostle macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to purchase my first Mac. I need your advice.

I'll be using this machine for all the usual stuff like surfing the net, multiple downloads of Mp3's, light cd/dvd burning but most importantly for Photoshop and Illustrator.

I don't have much money so I was thinking about picking up an old Sawtooth 400 or 450. I have about 2 gigs of 133 RAM and a few HD's from my Winblows machine laying around that I could throw in. How well do you think the Sawtooth will treat me? Thanks.

2. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Wait... are you going to be using CS3?
    If you are, maybe you should consider picking up a refurb Intel machine.

3. iMouseHD macrumors regular

I use CS2 on a 733 Quicksilver and it runs just fine, running 10.3 as the OS, maxed out the ram and added a HD....its not my main machine but I do use it from time to do to do just about everything you want to do.

I personally dont think you will be happy using what you stated above. just my opinion of course.

You should be able to find a better machine on ebay, here on the boards or craigslist for a good price esp. if you all ready have some ram and drives you wont need to worry about buying.

4. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

How much money are you willing to spend?

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

there is no way Ps or Ill will run well on a 400MHz Sawtooth. Internet, music and burning stuff will work fine, but any intensive work such as Ps will choke. Save up some dough and get a refurbished Intel machine, like a Core Duo Mac Mini.

also, don't bump threads, especially after just two hours of inactivity.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

check ebay for old powermac G5's some of the older 1.6ghz ones can go for incredibly cheap prices, although in most cases they dont have power cables, keyboards, mice and in some cases, harddrives...

you'd probably be better saving up and buying a refurb intel imac though

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure as I only dabble in Photoshop at the moment. But I would look for something with dual/dual-core processors if at all possible. :)

8. razor1012a macrumors newbie

new to mac g4

hello i'm new to mac i buy a g4 (blue and gray) ???? is a 400 mhz (i got a 1.8ghz dual for upgrade and 1.5 ram i want to put the components from this computer to a quicksilver case is this possible

thanks