First mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zachkowalchuk, Jun 21, 2008.

1. zachkowalchuk macrumors member

I'm looking into buying my first mac soon. I was looking at the mac mini mainly because I can use a it with a kvm switch and have it along aside my pc. what all can I run on it? As in editing software. Would the mac mini be able to run adobe cs3 software? How well does the mac mini upgrade? Is the limit of ram 2gbs? how 'bout hard drive space?

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't want to have my hard earned money wasted on something that can't run the stuff I need it to run.

2. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

The Mac Mini will be obsolete in a year, go for something with a little more power, iMac or Mac Pro, try refurbished if you really want a mac mini.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I agree that the mini is nearing the end of its product lifecycle. Consider a macbook or an iMac.

4. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

My best suggestion is to forget about mac mini all together and buy an imac. It is perfect for Ps CS3. (I use it myself) Plus, if you need a PC, you can use an emulator such as Parallels, fusion, or a partitioner like bootcamp. These allow you to run PC on your mac alongside os x.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, go with the iMac and ditch your PC. With Bootcamp built right in on every new Intel based Macintosh, your Mac does it all- Windows & Mac OS. The Mac Mini would perform your stated tasks fine, but the iMac would definitely be faster. :) :apple:

6. zachkowalchuk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to look into an iMac. What about the macbook's though? I still want to keep my pc because it literally stores all of my files and some of my family's files. And I want to be able to take it on road trips and such.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If you are looking for a mobile computer (I apologize, I was under the assumption that you were looking for a desktop) then a MacBook or MacBook Pro would be a great computer. Either way you go, they are going to have plenty of power for your needs. Plus, unlike the Mac Mini, the MacBook/MacBook Pro supports up to 4GB of RAM. :)

8. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

my 1st mac is this one, just got it less then a week ago. 2.6 20", had the 24" but it was too bright for me gave me a headache and too big for my desk it was ridiculous, just wasnt my taste. your gonna love the mac world though bro

9. Super Intendo macrumors regular

I'd have to agree with everyone here in recommending you stay away from the mac mini. Its just not that great of a deal anymore :rolleyes:

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree with the iMac. I use a mbp and I use bootcamp when I want to play windows games, and I use vmware fusion when I want to code in visual studio (in windows). Its a great setup to have both OS's at your fingertips.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I wouldn't recommend either of those computers, the Mac Mini is nearing the end of its product cycle, due for an update, and the iMac is terribly overpriced for what it is. 1gb RAM and a 2400XT for 1200 US, yeah right.

My advice would be to wait until the next Mini update, or iMac update.

If you need a Mac now, my advice would be a refurbished model. They have a nice Macbook, 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM, 160gb HDD for 1099 US on the Apple store.

12. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

An iMac or a MacBook are definitely the best ways to start with the Mac.

The Mac Mini is a good option, though I tend to think of it as a second-Mac option for those who have a MacBook and want something to stay at home or work.

As for performance, the Mini is good, but not great, although having said that, the iMac is still breakfast compared to a Mac Pro. When I say 'good', I mean you can run CS3 or Final Cut Pro, although it wouldn't be recommended as it would be laggy or slow on opening large files.

So it's between the iMac and the MacBook - then you have to ask yourself if you want something to take everywhere with you, or something permanent with a much larger screen?

Hope that helps, Moggy

13. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Seems like you have your mobile computer situation under control. So look into the iMac refurbished or a new one. We run nothing but refurbished ones at work and have had no trouble with them. But new is new.