First Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by itguy80, May 11, 2009.

1. itguy80 macrumors newbie

I am considering buying my first Mac. I have been a long-time windows user 10+ years; I work in IT as a Systems Administrator. My goal with buying a Mac is to familiarize myself with the O/S, networking with Windows and Linux, and eventually begin programming apps for the IPhone. Other than that I will be using the computer for internet/email and VPN into my office. I also will be utilizing bootcamp for Vista or Win 7. I know that I definately want a Macbook or Macbook Pro for the portability factor. Are there any system requirements that I should stick with for developing IPhone apps? I am leaning towards the 1299 Macbook but I don't want to underbuy. Whatever model I purchase now I want to keep it for at least 3 years with the ability to upgrade the O/S as newer versions come out. I don't care about the illuminated keyboard, but I'm not 100% sold on the 13.3" screen size. I'm used to a 15" widescreen with Windows. The price difference when going from the Macbook to the Pro seems kind of steep but I can do it if necessary. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I would look into buying a previous Macbook Pro if I were you. You can get them as low as $1000, and they have more power than a unibody Macbook, and they still have the 15" screen.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Any mac will do for iPhone app dev.

You might want to look into a refurb MBP at:
    store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

4. lucamacis macrumors member

I agree. Either one will do fine. I would also go for a refurb. I have purchased 3 refurbished apple products in the past with zero problems. No damage, perfect results and no problems to speak of.

Look for a refurbished MacBook Pro if i was you. You will probably find the screen estate very helpful espcially for the programming. There is nothing more annoying than analyzing code and having to scroll up and down when you know you could avoid it with a slightly better screen. If your in the UK then check this out for a refurb MBP

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB470B/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

Otherwise if your US check refurb site there.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are talking about light usage. VPN and email will not stress even an older low-end Mac. Same for iPhone software development. So buy the more expensive notebook if you really want the better screen. Maybe get the smaller MB for better portabilty and then connect it to a larger 20" or larger LCD when yu are doing things that required lots of space (like iphone software development.)

6. brguitarist macrumors member

Agreed. I've done some iPhone dev on a 2.2GHz MacBook and it's certainly more than powerful enough. I'd get a refurbished MacBook (2.4 GHz) and an external monitor for coding at home.