First Macbook, A Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TWIXMIX, Apr 13, 2010.

1. TWIXMIX macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I just purchased my first Macbook Pro, and I'm loving it so far. I just have a few questions, mostly about bootcamp.

1) Can I update the graphics drivers in bootcamp straight from nVidia's site? Or do I have to wait until BootCamp gets updated?

2) Is there a good way to control fan speed in windows. It seems to get kind of hot, and I've noticed posts about this in the pass. Have they remedied these issues yet, or it is still required to boot into OSX to change fan speed?

3) In OSX, is there any way to tell which graphics chip is currently being used. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious.

Thanks.

2. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

I noticed yesterday my fans in Windows seem to ramp up when playing games. I thought this was a problem in which it didn't happen. Was it fixed, or is it just that they don't speed up enough?

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3) If it is a MacBook then it only has one graphics chip. You can find out what chip you have by clicking , then holding Option and clicking System Profiler... then going to Graphics/Displays.

4. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's a Macbook Pro, so it has the integrated intel graphics and the nVidia dedicated graphics. I'm just curious if I can tell which OSX is using at any given time, since now it uses automatic graphics switching.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It should tell you in System Preferences>Energy Saver.

I don't know anything about the new MacBook Pro, so I can't be 100% sure, but if you want to know which is being used and you want to force a specific card to be used, you will have to deselect the automatic switching, then select either better battery or better performance.

Windows handles it differently, I honestly have no idea how it chooses.

6. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I looked in energy saver. It gives me the ability to disable switching, but it doesn't actually list which card is currently in use. It's strange they don't seem to list it anywhere.

7. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

1. No need to wait for updates to bootcamp, can update the drivers directly off the Nvidia website, it's what I did on my late 2008 MBP with the 9600M.

2. Never found anything for this, used to have to boot to OS X, set the fans in SMC and then boot to Windows.

Haven't got a clue on 3 as still waiting till I can get a new 15"

Hope this helps.

Can I ask you something in return, how does windows handle the 330M/Intel IGP? Does it switch or stick to the 330M?

8. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it.

Now in return:

It seems to only detect and use the 330m. No graphics switching options in Windows as of right now from what I see.
    My friend used to have overheating issues with his 9600m gt in his Macbook Pro, but my fans seem to kick in pretty well so hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Thanks, well better that than the other way round, imagine being stuck with the Intel IGP!

What model did you get if you don't mid me asking? And how are you finding it?

10. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the highest end 15". It is the one with the i7 and 512mb of vRam. It's running great so far. As it's my first Mac, I'm still getting used to it. But so far, so good. :)

11. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Nice, I'm very tempted with that model myself.

The one I got last year was my first, moving over from Windows does take a bit of an adjustment but you'll find your feet quick enough, fairly easy to get to grips with. This forum's great for finding answers to stuff your trying to work out, ever got a query feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help if I know.

Hope you carry on enjoying your new Mac dude, rather jealous atm as I still have to wait a while lol.

12. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, I'll keep ya in mind.

I'll probably start posting more stuff once the new release craziness dies down, now that the "Waiting for Arrandale" craziness has died down. haha