Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
FL
So I'm looking to get my first Apple computer and I'm having trouble deciding what to get.

I work full time and often lug my 5.5lb laptop to my job to web browse and work on homework between my clients. A 3-3.5lbs computer would be amazing. I'm also a college student, but it's Women's & Gender Studies so I'll really only need the computer for iWork/MS Office and web browsing(up to 20 tabs open at a time). No photo/video editing, gaming, or other resource intensive stuff.

I'm coming from a really cheap interim PC with an AMD 300, 4GB RAM, and 320GB HDD(with 214GB free at the moment). I use iCloud and Google Drive for my docs, music, and photos.

Now here's my dilemma with options(all 13 inch models):

MBA 4/128 for $900

rMBP 4/128 for $1150

MBA 8/128 for $1139

MBA 8/256 for $1339

rMBP 8/256 for $1349

I think the base MBA is a really good deal and I think it would be ok for my needs. I like the base rMBP, but I'm not sure if my usage warrants $250 more for the retina.

And I know many people say to try to get 8GB of RAM, but is it worth the mid-tier price jump for the MBA? At that price point I'd be getting pretty damn close to the mid-tier rMBP. Then again, maybe the MBA 8/128 is an option, though it's still $239 for those 4GB of RAM.

There is a chance that I am overthinking this lol. None of the configs are going to break my wallet, but I'm also not necessarily going to throw several hundred dollars at upgrades I don't need.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
So I'm looking to get my first Apple computer and I'm having trouble deciding what to get.

I work full time and often lug my 5.5lb laptop to my job to web browse and work on homework between my clients. I'm also a college student, but it's Women's & Gender Studies so I'll really only need the computer for iWork/MS Office and web browsing(up to 20 tabs open at a time). No photo/video editing, gaming, or other resource intensive stuff.

I'm coming from a really cheap interim PC with an AMD 300, 4GB RAM, and 320GB HDD(with 214GB free at the moment). I use iCloud and Google Drive for my docs, music, and photos.

Now here's my dilemma with options:

MBA 4/128 for $900

rMBP 4/128 for $1150

MBA 8/128 for $1139

MBA 8/256 for $1339

rMBP 8/256 for $1349

I think the base MBA is a really good deal and I think my needs are basic enough that it would serve theml. I like the base rMBP, but I'm not sure if my usage warrants $250 more for the retina.

And I know many people say to try to get 8GB of RAM, but is it worth the mid-tier price jump for the MBA? At that price point I'd be getting pretty damn close to the mid-tier rMBP. Then again, maybe the MBA 8/128 is the sweet spot?

There is a chance that I am overthinking this lol. None of the configs are going to break my wallet, but I'm also not necessarily going to throw several hundred dollars at upgrades I don't need.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

As a student with modest computing needs, I would go for the cheapest and lightest MBA you can get. You can always add an external drive for more storage later on. I have a 15 in MBP (pre-retina) and I never lug it anywhere because I have my iPad mini for that. If I were choosing a "road machine," I'd have to seriously consider the MBA. If you can afford to spring for a little extra memory then do that. If you are careful about how much crap you keep on your Mac versus storing things on network drives, usb drives, etc you can get away with the base SSD configuration in the MBA: Go for the 8/128 version at $1139.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
FL
Thanks for the input.

I love the weight and battery life of the Air, but I keep waffling on whether I want retina.

I like the sharper text on the retina and the design of the MBP feels a little bit sturdier. That could just be because I've never had an ultrathin computer, though.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
The slight extra cost of the retina will be paid back to you at resale time because in a year or two all new laptops will likely have retina or similar ultra fine pixel displays and so traditional coarse pixel displays will be obsolete and in low demand. So I'd go with the 4/128 rMBP.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Retina is amazing though

Thanks for the input.

I love the weight and battery life of the Air, but I keep waffling on whether I want retina.

I like the sharper text on the retina and the design of the MBP feels a little bit sturdier. That could just be because I've never had an ultrathin computer, though.

Considering that the price difference really isn't that big, you really just have to ask yourself what you value the most. The amazing portability and battery life of the Air, or the added power and mind-blowing display of the rMBP. If I had to make a pick, I'd go rMBP, but my needs are dramatically different than yours, and if I had your needs I wouldn't know what to do... I'd probably go MBA in the end though.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
I had a 13" Air before switching to a 15" Retina. I am also a university student but I switched because I had some gaming needs I wanted to fulfill. :) Sometimes I miss the lightweight and the battery life of the current version 13" Airs.

I think the base config Air is the right choice for you. Also, take a look at the refurbished products. All my Macs are refurbished - you save so much money.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
FL
I appreciate all the advice! I'm probably going to go look at them side by side again tomorrow.

$900 for a new base Air is cheaper than the refurbed equivalent on Apple's site, so that is kinda great. That's what I'm leaning toward, but we'll see if the retina screen sways me.

My only concern is I've heard many webpages don't look too great on retina. And since I'm constantly web browsing is that going to get annoying or is it fairly uncommon?

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
There really isn't much difference in weight and size. The Air is thinner and lighter, but not by much, and the rMBP has a smaller footprint, which negates much of that difference.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
I would suggest the air, but with 8 GB ram. My computer use is the same as yours, 4GB is a squeeze these days. Have you factored in educational discount?

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks for the input.

If the $250 isn't going to keep you from eating or buying gas or something then you should seriously consider getting the rMBP. The text on it are far superior and that does make a difference. There isn't anything you can't do on this machine, and who knows what you may want to do in the future you haven't thought of right now.

I don't know if the MBA is made less sturdily than the MBP. I've seen little niggles happen on both platforms so I tend to think the build quality is roughly equal. There is one thing though you should know: the MBA has lighter hinges and more often than not they tend to be floppy, that is the display isn't held in place as solidly as on the rMBP. I have both the 13 and the 15 rMBPs and both have solid-as-rock hinges. My daughter has a 13 MBA and if you pick it up by the base, the display will flop down. I don't like that about it. I saw the same thing last week with a 11" MBA in a Best Buy.

I believe that getting 8 gb of memory is usually a waste of money. Only if you are really hammering your computer with a lot of simultaneous tasks will that matter. If you have disposable income to put into the computer, you're better off getting the 256gb drive. Not only is it bigger, but by a quirk of how these things work, it's a bit faster than the 128 gb drive.

Even though I have the 15 rMBP, I use the 13 way more often. It's just perfect. The 15 stays at home, the 13 goes everywhere with me, sometimes even to the bathroom (at home that is, I write, and I don't like to be interrupted when something good is happening).

You also commented on web pages not looking good on a retina. I'm not sure where that rumor came from. They look way better than on any other machine. This rumor may have come about because some web browsers didn't know how to handle the new type of interpolation that the retina machines do (not sure if interpolation is the right word) but that got handled by software updates well over a year ago. These machines are not new anymore, the little bleeding edge problems got fixed a lot time ago.

Last edited:

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
It sounds like any MBA would meet your needs. My usage is similar to yours. An MBA works perfectly for me. Mine is two years old, and still going swift and strong. What I love about the MBA is it's light weight. It is uber-portable and thus uber-useful.

I do try and buy extra RAM when I buy a new machine. In my PC days I found it made a massive difference to the speed of my machines (far more so than upgrading the processor). Since switching to Mac, I still try to buy it to keep the machine speedy for as many years as possible. I keep my machines for as long as I can.

It also sounds like you are very tempted by the Retina screen. Side by side, the Retina screen will look better. It's supposed to. It's designed to. But I suspect it will need even more RAM to maintain it's speed in the future.

Another poster has suggested the rMBP will hold its value better. I am not so sure. In the 13inch size, Retina is still a feature you pay extra for. But I note that in the 15inch size the non-Retina MBP has already been phased out. I suspect the 13 inch non-Retina MBP will be soon follow, and the rMBP prices will adjust accordingly. Why pay more now, for what will very soon be a standard product entry point?

I recommend the MBA. But if you want the rMBP go for it.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
FL
Wow, I didn't expect so many detailed responses.

Yes, I'm looking at the Education store on Apple. I also have a $150 off student coupon from Best Buy which, on the configs they carry, actually brings the price lower than Apple's Ed. discount and some of their refurbs.

Today is my day off and I'm really hoping to have a MacBook or at least have ordered one by the end of the day.

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
Decision time...

I would go with the Retina display. Simple reasoning. You will be working in front of the screen for hours on end. The better that screen, the happier you will be.

Just one man's .02

Adam Rodman

Uyski

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
I'd go for retina. My GF has an air, and tbh I really really really dislike the air screen. The 13" rMBP weight just a little more than the air, but the screen is MUCH better, and it does feel more sturdy too. Better screen > Portability, since you're using more time looking at the screen, than transporting the laptop itself.
Also, you're also getting a faster computer, not just the retina screen.

donstenk

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
The Hague
Air

I am a professional since 20 years and work on a 1.8ghz core 7 air with 256GB without any problems since two years.

I have a 50GB Aperture library, use photoshop and Ms Office and it's great reliable tool to make a living. Travels easy and connects to a Cinema Display at home and in the office.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
FL
Thanks for the input, everyone. All the different views helped me establish what I want/need.

I just left Best Buy with my first Mac! I went with a base config rMBP. I have the money to go with the mid-tier model, but I don't feel like I need it. And I decided, since I'm on my computer for hours a day, that I wanted a retina display to look at.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Thanks for the input, everyone. All the different views helped me establish what I want/need.

I just left Best Buy with my first Mac! I went with a base config rMBP. I have the money to go with the mid-tier model, but I don't feel like I need it. And I decided, since I'm on my computer for hours a day, that I wanted a retina display to look at.

With the money you spent at Best Buy, maybe look into the Apple refurbished. You can pick up the 8/256 for 1269 + tax, just a little more than the base model. It really is worth it.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
With the money you spent at Best Buy, maybe look into the Apple refurbished. You can pick up the 8/256 for 1269 + tax, just a little more than the base model. It really is worth it.

Where do you see the retina macbook pro for $1269? I am looking at the refurbished apple page and it only shows two but neither are the price you mentioned.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Where do you see the retina macbook pro for $1269? I am looking at the refurbished apple page and it only shows two but neither are the price you mentioned.

Check out http://www.refurb.me/us/browse/

It's an awesome site to track refurb stock - you can even set up notifications so it lets you know when an item is in stock. They come in/out of stock very frequently/quickly.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
FL
I saw the refurb for 1269, but with tax that was still $127 more than my base model cost me. Not taking into account the $25 BB reward certificate.

The base model is working well for me. I know for many people the mid-tier upgrade is worth it, but I couldn't justify it for my low usage.

I did seriously look at both the rMBP and the MBA when I went, but I do like the retina display. And, to be honest, I like the symmetry of the rMBP. The wedge shape of the MBA doesn't appeal to me at all.

I know, the MBA's battery is great. Though I'm getting the full 9-10 hours of battery life out of the rMBP, which is amazing considering the (maybe) 3 hour battery life of my old Windows laptop.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I saw the refurb for 1269, but with tax that was still $127 more than my base model cost me. Not taking into account the $25 BB reward certificate.

The base model is working well for me. I know for many people the mid-tier upgrade is worth it, but I couldn't justify it for my low usage.

I did seriously look at both the rMBP and the MBA when I went, but I do like the retina display. And, to be honest, I like the symmetry of the rMBP. The wedge shape of the MBA doesn't appeal to me at all.

I know, the MBA's battery is great. Though I'm getting the full 9-10 hours of battery life out of the rMBP, which is amazing considering the (maybe) 3 hour battery life of my old Windows laptop.

Glad you're happy with your new rMBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.