First MacBook! Now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mszpara, Jun 18, 2012.

1. mszpara macrumors regular

So, I just got my very first Apple latpop, the MacBook Air 1.8/8gb/128

It seems like this thing is pretty much clean, and bloat-ware free. Is that the case? Is there anything that you all would recommend to do first thing? Should I remove anything? Install anything that is super vital? or just start poking around and enjoy?

(I love this thing, btw)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm guessing you are used to a Windows PC? There isn't any bloatware on a Mac, just open up the App store and take a look at what you like.

It depends on what you like to do. Enjoy your new Mac.:)

3. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

4. mszpara thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, thanks guys!

Macman45, yes I have been a longtime Windows user. I sold my Win7 laptop so now I am 100% MacOS

Thanks for the guides, I've played around with various Macs in the past, but haven't owned one until now. I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve, but i'm excited!

5. barredfreak macrumors 6502

My heartiest congratulations on your new Mac. You will enjoy it immensely.

I would recommend poking around in the Mac App Store for free, productive applications. If your line of work is photography/video production, Aperture and Final Cut Pro are a must-have. Just look around and you'll see why a Mac is so much better.

6. mszpara thread starter macrumors regular

If only I got my $100 gift card along with the MBA :D i'm afraid to go into the App Store because i'll probably end up spending money now!

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

it's an itunes card with the student discount :(. A really good clear media player i like is mplayerx...check it out

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I recommend installing Parallels. You can then do this and have a lot of fun... :cool:

[​IMG]

9. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Wow... I think you OD'd on OS's. :)

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

any chance you are really running all of those? Best way to get viruses on your make, run several versions of windows.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have a shrinked wrapped copy of OS/2 Warp I am debating whether to open it or not and add it to mu list. I only have 40GB left on my SSD so I have to slow down... :D

----------

I do, actually. I do a little bit of web development so it's cool to see how websites look from each different OS, but I do it mostly for fun (especially DOS and Windows 3.11!!!). I have copies of all my VMs, so if a virus were to crop up, I'd just delete the VM file and bring over a fresh copy. No worries.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Pretty cool. Do you boot camp any of those too? BTW, I am still a windows user itching for a rMBP 2.6Ghz option with an empty bank account. I am just taking this all in.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, Windows 7 is my "main" OS and I bootcamp that one, although most of the time I end up running it in a VM rather than booting into it.

I tell you, I came over to the dark side :p almost a year ago, and as much as I like to play with Windows, I ain't going back. The MBA is a mighty fine laptop that has run everything I've thrown at it. So scratch that itch!!! :D

14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It won't be long, I have about 6 payments left on my truck. If I can get before then (without the wife knowing what it really cost), I will. I should probably sell some crap I have around the house on CL.

15. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I've never done this before but maybe I should. It might help remove some of the guilt if I go with 256GB instead of 128. :)

16. Blackened Apple macrumors regular

Nice list of OSs ;) Too Windows-based for my tastes, but still, that's some dedication ;) If you're into exploring different OSs, I suggest trying out Plan 9 (descendant of Bell Labs UNIX), maybe Inferno (from later on in the Bell Labs UNIX lineage), Haiku (carrying on the BeOS legacy), as well as other Linuxes (Arch is nice if you want to learn basic UNIX systems administration, you have to basically build it from the ground up and make it your own) and BSDs (which share userspace tools with OS X, and descend from Berkeley UNIX) like FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD.

Cheers

17. tagz macrumors newbie

I am just like you mszpara. I have been a windows user for years. I got my first MBA today. Unfortunately, I am not in town and my wife received it for me. So, have to wait till this Thu to get my hands on it.. Ah, the wait is killing me!

I will explore the links. The only thing I still have to figure out is the tool that I use at my work place.. I dont think it works on Mac. I may have to get "Parallels".. hmm..

18. powsucks macrumors member

I though the univerity card covered apps, music, books and films? Or are there two differen types of card?

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios