First Macbook Pro and thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IchBinMatt, Dec 6, 2007.

1. IchBinMatt macrumors newbie

Hey, I am getting a macbook pro for christmas, but get to test it and install apps on it in 2 days. I am buying it off my local pc guy. He says its a 2.4ghz with 4gb ram and the 200gb HDD.

I am worried because he said it came with a leopard disk instead of being preinstalled...is that normal. Also, I need to find out if it has the new Sana Rosa chip set. Does that really matter though?

Thanks for your help.

Ps: I will install xp and vista in bootcamp with 20 gb each, just for games and show. I will also install VMware fusion over parallels. Smart move?

Hope it's as good as I expect.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it's normal for computers manufactured before the release date to include install disks (vs. preinstalled). If this leopard disk originally came with the MBP (and wasn't added by "the local PC guy") then yes, it's a santa rosa.

Why both xp and vista? Also, 20 GB may be a little on the small side.

3. IchBinMatt thread starter macrumors newbie

I want xp to code programs, play games, and have it work fast with vmware. I also will use this over vista for reliability reasons.

Vista will be installed only for halo 2 pc(Vista Only), and to brag to friends that my laptop runs vista the fastest!

How much do you suggest I partition for each drive? Also, thanks for quick reply.

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

that all sounds fine to me. normal normal!

enjoy your new mac!.... you are gonna love it

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

If it's a 2.4 Ghz processor, it's santa rosa. Yes, santa rosa is better. It's a little faster with a higher FSB, it can utilize more RAM, it has a better graphics card, and an LED backlit screen, etc. Just be sure to check if the screen has yellow at the bottom (search these threads to find out more about the yellow LED macbook pro problems). If it has 4 GB Apple branded RAM, you are going to pay way too much, as it is much cheaper to buy RAM from a 3rd party like crucial.com. Installing XP and Vista is not a smart move. Pick one. Most people seem to like XP better, but I prefer vista (seriously). But, no need to run both. And no need for both bootcamp and VMware, unless the price is worth it to you for convenience. I can't tell you which is better, fusion or parallels, but there are lots of benchmarks on both if you google it. Oh, and having the leopard disc in the box is normal for machines shipped right after leopard's release.

Hope that helped,

Ado