First MacBook Pro - applecare/John Lewis added care - parallels question - UK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lexi170889, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Lexi170889 macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy the MacBook Pro 13" with retina display. This will be my first mac computer.
    John Lewis is offering their added care package for only an extra £130 compared to applecare's £199. The JL insurance also says that it covers accidental damage. So I would obviously prefer to go for the JL insurance as it is cheaper and AC doesn't cover any accidental damage. I just worry that if I get stuck on something to do with the mac that as I have no experience in dealing with those problems that I would be screwed and will regret not going with AC. I am reading so many horror stories of MacBooks breaking down left, right and centre and at such a high price I can't afford to not know what I'm doing. Should I get AC? Is it really any good? Should I get JL added care? Are they any good?
    I'm also looking to install the parallels software onto the MacBook Pro as a program I need to install for work will only work in windows. Also hearing people having a lot of trouble using this software. Is it really that hard to get working properly?
    I usually know how to work things and get round certain technological issues but this will be my first Mac product and so all these questions are worrying me.
    All help would be much appreciated.
    (I am in the UK btw, so AC users in the USA might not have accurate views of the UK service, no matter how good it is in the USA)

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Can't say that I've come across any of those.

You might like to post on this UK Forum for a UK view.
    http://www.mac4mac.co.uk/index.php