First MacBook Pro? :D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cogi, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Cogi macrumors newbie

Cogi

So I just received my new 15 Inch MacBook Pro with Retina yesterday in the mail. This is my first Apple computer. I have owned other Apple devices such as iPhone, iPod, iPad, and played around with iMac's & MacBooks at my nearby Apple Store.

This thing is a beast. Here are the specs :

Processor : 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 [I7-4850HQ] (Up to 3.5GHz / HyperThreading)

Memory : 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics : Intel Iris Pro / Nvidia GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of RAM

Storage : 512GB PCIe Flash Based Storage

:apple:

I am a graphic designer and video editor and I have been using an ancient PC I got on sale at BestBuy, so I decided to compare the Read & Write speeds

Lenovo V570

Read : 60MB/s

Write 55MB/s

:eek:

vs

Late 2013 MBP

Read : 730MB/s

Write : 705MB/s

:cool:

I don't know how I managed to build a part time job off of that...

Anyway that brings me to a few questions.

What should I do now?

Anyone know some good games I could play on here? I plan on getting Rust & 7 Days To Die soon. I just bought BioShock Infinite off of steam for about $7.

Do you know of any websites that will teach me all the special things about OSX such as small tricks and tips that are hidden away but really cool?
    Maybe a list of Keyboard Shortcuts for programs like Photoshop, Final Cut, ect.

Any other suggestions or things I should learn / need.

Happy to be joining the Apple/OSX Community. I am so far enjoying the switch from Windows to OSX even though I have my Windows 8 PC sitting right next to my MBP!

Thanks in advanced! :D

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure it will give you years of pleasure.
    As far as tips and tricks there are many books on the likes of Amazon that can be had.
    A little tip, if you find one on Amazon, have a further look on bookfinder.com for a better price.

Barney

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

Apple has a lot of good info at this page on OS X in general and also on "switching" from Windows.

Also this book is a good resource.

If you have not already, get yourself an external USB3 hard drive and use OS X built in Time Machine application to make a good backup of your Mac.

4. Cogi thread starter macrumors newbie

Cogi

I have a 1TB WD My PassPort Ultra. Is that good enough to use for Time Machine? Its USB 3.0 also.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure.. that will work just perfectly. Just attach it then start Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities and select the drive brand name on the left side. Then go to the erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the drop down and name the drive whatever you want then click erase. This will erase everything on the drive and format it for your Mac.

Then open System Preferences and in the Time Machine panel turn on Time Machine and select your external as the destination.

[​IMG]

6. TheBlackLabEdge macrumors newbie

What should you do? Be careful.... I bought myself a new 13 MBP, 4 months later bought daughter a used 15", a couple months later ran into a 32gb iPhone 5 & gave myself another present.