First Macbook Pro Impressions(Tips Welcome!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhyno37, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rhyno37, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

Rhyno37 macrumors regular

So I gave in a made a trip to Best Buy today and bought myself a Macbook Pro 13" base model. After toying with it for about 30 min I can honestly say I don't regret not getting an Air one bit!

I may have been in luck according to you guys as they only had the ones with Snow Leopard in stock, they were sold out of the ones with Lion. Coming from using cheaper Windows notebooks in the past, the build quality of this thing blows them out of the water, especially the track pad, I LOVE it.

So I was hoping you guys could give me some tips or tricks for the macbook pros or OSX in general since I am a new user (or point me to some threads).

When I bought it they gave me a copy of Trend Smart Surfing, should I install and use this or is it worthless?

Since BB gave me a $100 GC, is there anything in particular I should use it for towards my mac? I didn't know if maybe the magic mouse was any good, or if there was something else better.

And last, what are the best SSD and memory to upgrade my mac with?

Thanks guys!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

In order.

1. Just use the thing, you'll see, it's pretty easy to get the hang of it.

2. Don't bother installing the software, as of right now Mac's don't need security software, this may change later as they gain market share and the hacker's attention, but for the moment, you're safe so long as you use common sense when using the web.

3. Your pick, personnally, I'd go for a cheap external hard drive to make a back up of my Mac, so that if anything goes wrong, and they have to send it out for repair, replace it, or the hard drive dies, you don't lose anything.

4. Any SATA II or III 2.5" SSD will fit and should work provided it has good reviews. As far as Memory goes, DDR3 200-pin SO-DIMM @ 1333Mhz is what you're looking for.

You have a free upgrade copy of Lion since you purchases this with SL, I'd download it free while you can(you have 30 days to do so) so if you want to upgrade, you'll have it.