First Macbook, suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wtchristy, Jul 4, 2014.

1. wtchristy macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm a recent undergraduate who is now headed to graduate school in the fall. My major is history so papers/research will be my main task. I have never had a mac product aside from my iPod but a macbook seems a good route for my schooling. I'm just looking for advice on these things.

I was looking at the MacBook Pro as it seems more robust compared to the air. However in my research I see they may discontinue the pro.(Anyone see that as a problem,buying an outdated mac?) So that leaves me with the retina which I also see doesn't have a disk drive. I've also narrowed it down to an i5 instead of the i7 and at least 8gig ram. Aside from that I'm just looking for advice on a good option. I don't see myself using the laptop too heavily, mainly papers and web searching. Possibly some light game...Diablo 3 if I find the itch/time for it. I'm not looking to go overboard with it but I also want to get something that will be semi future proof and stand the test of time in the spec department.

So do you guys have any recommendations of a macbook for graduate school for a mac noob?

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

A macbook air would actually be fine for you, plenty fast for your needs and small enough to always be in your bag. With the money you save, get a decent secondary screen, keyboard and mouse to work comfortably. :)

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm torn between the 13" rMBP and MBA. The Pro has a nicer screen and the Air has better battery life and is lighter. Price wise they're pretty close in similar configurations.

In your situation I'd go with the Air. Portability and battery life are pretty important. Don't forget to check out the refurbs.