First macbook... will my peripherals work?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jrm27, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hey all:

Please forgive me if this question is a very common one. I may have missed the answer whil searching, so please feel free to point me to another thread if need be.

That being said... yesterday a good friend of mine bought the 13inch white macbook. I'm wondering how to make (or if they even will) his peripherals will work. Currently he is using a little Dell notebook that he sets into a dock to feed an external VGA screen. He also uses a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo (pretty sure it isn't bluetooth.. but maybe?).

So, what do I need to get those working? Does the Macbook come with an adapter for Mini DV to VGA? Should I be able to get the wireless keyboard working pretty easily? Any help would be most appreciated!

-jon

2. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

The wireless keyboard should just work. Most wireless keyboards, if they're not Bluetooth, just present themselves to the host system as a plain old keyboard when you plug in the wireless transceiver. If it has special function keys or media keys, those may not work if the manufacturer doesn't have software/drivers for Mac.

You'd have to buy a mini-DVI to VGA adapter for the macbook, but they're relatively cheap. You can get them at store.apple.com if you don't have an apple retail store near you.