Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameisnick4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Well I am finally making the jump back into the mac world and buying a new mac book. I had a mac about 5 years ago, it was the white iMac with the dome looking base, no clue what gen. And that computer actually built a hate towards mac because back then I couldn't do anything with it that I wanted (i was like 13-14 years old.) But I know that Mac has come a long way since then and I am ready to get back into it.

I plan on purchasing the base $1099 MacBook. I main concern is how it would perform. I know that new windows based system really need more then 1 gb so they don't crawl. So how would this Mac run on 1 GB of ram? I don't plan on doing in gaming on it, I have a custom built system for that. I do plan on upgrading the ram in the future which brings me to my next question. Does any type DDR2 work in macs or do you have to get memory made for macs?

Any other info on buying would be welcomed to, thanks.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA
crucial.com is a very good site where you can give them your computer specs and what not and they list you ram that would work with the system

you can check newegg.com if you want to see if there is a cheaper price on the ram crucial gives you

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Get at least 2 if not 4 GB's of ram and you should really step up to the next model if you can it's a lot better in value it burn's DVD's and comes with better stuff stock bigger Hard Drive and so on.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
Or try the refurb store. 2.2 SR (last gen.. nothing really different minus the ram taht comes with them) white one for 999 (about 1050 with tax) and then grab a 4gig set of ram from newegg pc5300 ddr ram for about 100

Pop those in (super easy)

Great computer for 1150. Which is a little cheaper then the new 2.1 baseline white with only 1gig of ram and no burning drive. Refurbs are awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.